Only happens to the other girl.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
Driving back from the sport Doctor with my DD after being diagnosed with a double Pars Bone spinal fracture trying to think about what we could have done differently. we had such a great year last year, NSA state champs, USSA state champs, top five in the triple crown world series. since her first 10 u travel ball season she has never had any sort of injury. I was always very careful to make sure she iced and did not throw when she clearly was done, championship or not.starting in the fall at pitching practice during light workouts I noticed her just slightly rubbing he lower back muscle but not like it hurt type of rub almost like scratching an itch, I would ask her over and over again are you alright, She would say yes, During twice a week winter very light workouts she finally told me "my muscle is feeling tight" so we took a break, after getting back after the holidays again very light workouts, still feels a little tight. as the season came closer we began getting into out regular routine and I became clear some thing was up.

We went to a doctor and he was sure it was a muscle strain and we had two week no activity and some PT. after she went to a practice, still no pitching just fielding and batting. she had to pull herself out of practice, never done that before so we went back to the Doctor and Bam, spinal fracture. out eight weeks at least and a slow work back in from there at best, at worst she has thrown her last pitch. So for what its worth these are the things I would have done differently.

1.believe your eyes with your kids movements not what she says, super competitive athletes are notorious liars.

2. Just cause the pain is in the muscle off to one side and not around the spine it does not mean its not a spinal issue. Monitor what seems like a simple sore muscle very closely in the lower back.

3. After Puberty and during those growth spurts in the next year and a half cut the work load in half. alter your training to include more low impact exercises and concentrate on strengthening you core These Fractures happen most often in that time frame.12-13, after that the bones thicken to where the injury is unlikely.

Hope at least someone who reads this can catch the issue before it happens and they are not left wondering what they could have done differently. Hopefully for your DD it will truly only happen to the other girl.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1.believe your eyes with your kids movements not what she says, super competitive athletes are notorious liars.

Absolutely...to go a little further:

Athletes have learned to control their body movements. They have also learned how to "power through pain". If they are in pain, they can act as if they are not in pain. Elite athletes are the best at hiding pain.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Thanks for sharing. Fractures should be on the mind of every parent of a softball pitcher. We wish her a speedy recovery but be patient and don't push it. What did they do to find out that it was a fracture?

Just after we were emphasizing Java's pitchers exercises (I guess to late) my DD's SI joint went out. Finally yesterday, after two months of rest and PT she started light pitching again. It was very frustrating for her since it was such a big part of her routine. Thankfully, her coaches have been great and totally understand her needing to sit out for a couple months.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Man, that really sucks, BP. My DD looks up to "G" so much. She will be sad to hear about this, no doubt. I'm hoping for a quick recovery and many, many more years in the circle for that kid. She's a beast in the circle and a great kid.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
I am so sorry to hear about her diagnosis. Just wanted you to know that your posts - and your advice - DO make a difference. My kiddo is having back pain, too, and she has an appointment with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon at a sports medicine clinic. I didn't make that appointment until after our doctor diagnosed my dd with a "muscle strain" and sent us to PT. I read the materials you've sent and I am very concerned. So concerned, in fact, that I will DEMAND an MRI or CT if the pain continues - and forego PT, which can make it worse.

You are always so supportive and encouraging to everyone here on this board - and in life - and I know that there are many folks who are reading your post and feeling heartbroken for you guys. Tell your kiddo that we're all pulling for her, and wishing her the speediest of recoveries!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1