one knee on ground when stealing bases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Has anyone see this much before?? Have a coach in the area really pushing when getting ready to get lead or steal on the bases to start with one knee on ground and other against bag. Telling players by keeping low it makes them faster?? Almost like a sprinter start but has knee on the ground. Wouldnt this slow them up? Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
On what planet is a static starting position more efficient than a dynamic start? Sprinters use this position because they must. Given a choice they would certainly prefer a dynamic start. Not to mention it puts them in a defenseless posture should there be a line drive over the bag. If a coach is spending time on this they are wasting time that could be spent on things that will actually help his team win a game or two.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Has anyone see this much before?? Have a coach in the area really pushing when getting ready to get lead or steal on the bases to start with one knee on ground and other against bag. Telling players by keeping low it makes them faster?? Almost like a sprinter start but has knee on the ground. Wouldnt this slow them up? Thanks.

Utter nonsense! And no surer way to get every runner picked off or thrown out at any level beyond 12U.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't remember which team is was, but I saw a D1 team using that starting position while playing against UCLA at the Mary Nutter Classic last month. Made no sense to me.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've seen something similar to this with a couple of HS teams around here and always wondered the same thing. Only what they do is they put a knee on the bag between pitches. I think they stand up before the pitch, though. So they're basically just taking a knee between pitches.

Seems to be you shouldn't get so tired running bases that taking a knee would be a necessity. Especially station to station. My goodness, if you can't run 60 feet without the need to rest like that maybe sports aren't your thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez