One hand swinging drills. (Top hand and Bottom hand)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Many coaches have their hitters do some version of one hand drills with a short bat either off a tee or soft toss. Some do top hand only, some do bottom hand only, and some do both.

To aid in these drills and possibly help prevent injury during these drills the hitters must have a proper grip on the bat at all times for control of the bat's barrel.

I highly recommend using The Bat Jack Grip Trainer while doing these drills.

You can find it at The Bat Jack Grip Trainer - Baseball / Softball Swing Aid Develops Proper Bat Grip For Hitting

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Jim we have ordered some and are trying them. We don't use bats when we do our one handed drills. We hit tennis balls and use a device made out of PVC pipe,( that hitter invented) that is weighted. Many young girls do not have the arm strength to swing a bat with one hand. We use them in Bustos's clinics.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Jim we have ordered some and are trying them. We don't use bats when we do our one handed drills. We hit tennis balls and use a device made out of PVC pipe,( that hitter invented) that is weighted. Many young girls do not have the arm strength to swing a bat with one hand. We use them in Bustos's clinics.

You've ordered what? Short bats? If you use a very small, light bat (tee ball sized) the girls can usually use them. The short bat is also good to use with two hands to get the feeling of staying inside the ball with the barrel.

Good luck.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Bat Jack. Howard Carrier and Bustos had one this weekend that I got to test. I ordered some for my teams to use with my students. We have used a pony tail tie for a few years to teach the kids the correct grip. Placed on the first finger of the top hand, but this forces them to grip it correctly. We have used light short bats, but we like the device the Howard invented. It is the same length of a bat but made of PVC and we hit tennis balls. He also invented the whip hit, even though he doesn't get create for it.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I see. The PVC sounds like a pretty good idea for young girls. I love the pony tail tie story (very imaginative!) It's funny how we coaches think and put crazy things together in order for our players to get a feel for what we are explaining :)

How was the clinic overall? How did Crystl Bustos like The Bat Jack?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I got to talk to Howard and we both liked it. I got the soft to test. I will be using it with my students and get some more feedback. The thing with the pony tail Tie they can use it during the game, under the glove. They can practice with the Bat Jack and then play with the pony tail holder. I couldn't agree more on having them getting a feel of what we are teaching. My wife was an LD teacher and she told me never tell a student something that you can show them.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
I got to talk to Howard and we both liked it. I got the soft to test. I will be using it with my students and get some more feedback. The thing with the pony tail Tie they can use it during the game, under the glove. They can practice with the Bat Jack and then play with the pony tail holder. I couldn't agree more on having them getting a feel of what we are teaching. My wife was an LD teacher and she told me never tell a student something that you can show them.

Can you elaborate on the pony tail tie?? How exactly is it positioned and what does it do for the batter?

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio

That's great, good luck and keep up the good work!

You may want to check on this, according to the rulebook, For up to 18 inches on the bat from the knob, hitters may use any material or substance to aid in the grip of their bat. The Bat Jack is allowed for game play, if it is approved by your league or tournament.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
My ASA rule book is at home I will check and advise. The pony tail Tie is easy. It works under the same idea as the bat jack. On your first finger of your top hand you tie it around the base where it meets the hand. When you grip the bat, you must have the bat in front of the pony tail tie toward the fingers. This forces the player to keep the bat out of the meaty part of the hand between the thumb and first finger. This forces the student to grip the bat with the grippers, not the thumb and first finger. Test the grip. Have someone hold the bat between the thumb and first finger and come to contact. You can push the bat back with one finger. Use the bat jack or pony tail holder and you cannot shove the bat back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619