Oh no!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Dd has been asked to play little league. She hasn't played LL since 12yo. The coach that she plays for in a women's league during the week wants to put together a team to try and go to the LL all stars. Dd is 16yo and of course plays TB for another team. Dd thinks it sounds like fun and that's after all what softball is suspose to be. I'm worried that it could burn her out. TB, women's league, junior league and now LL it is a lot of softball. Do any of you have any experience with LL at senior division?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Dd has been asked to play little league. She hasn't played LL since 12yo. The coach that she plays for in a women's league during the week wants to put together a team to try and go to the LL all stars. Dd is 16yo and of course plays TB for another team. Dd thinks it sounds like fun and that's after all what softball is suspose to be. I'm worried that it could burn her out. TB, women's league, junior league and now LL it is a lot of softball. Do any of you have any experience with LL at senior division?

My DD played the 15-16U LL as a 12U. That should tell you all you need to know about LL at that age.

Seriously to me LL is so bad around my area that it is not fun. When a girl is on 1st and she can't catch or is afraid of the ball it was frustrating for my DD. Now if your LL is filled with girls who can actually play softball a little bit then it might not be as bad but our experience around my area was a nightmare.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In our town after (U12)Majors you can play in the U16 Senior league. Talent level has varied widely over the years. right now it's not very strong. lots of conflicts for the HS kids, especially if they are playing HS softball as the Varsity coach (who is a certified moron) discourages it. Also kids who played right thru majors start developing other interests in HS and start dropping out of Softball. as a result, Senior league tends to be less serious ball than majors. that said, I still have DVR'd games from the Senior League world series last year and those teams are full of TB players.

My biggest concern is that DD might get injured while competing in a meaningless game. last year she had a big catcher intentionally rough her up on a close play at home, just for fun, to try to make her look bad because she was pitching and they couldn't hit her. The catcher knew she was coming off an injury and could care less.

Nov 29, 2009
lots of conflicts for the HS kids, especially if they are playing HS softball as the Varsity coach (who is a certified moron) discourages it.

In most states the HS players are forbidden by the rules to play anything other than HS ball once the HS season has officially started if they are on a HS team. So the coach is more than likely following the rules as he/she should be. I may be wrong but the only state that I know of that allows kids to practice with a TB team is the CIF in CA.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In most states the HS players are forbidden by the rules to play anything other than HS ball once the HS season has officially started if they are on a HS team. So the coach is more than likely following the rules as he/she should be. I may be wrong but the only state that I know of that allows kids to practice with a TB team is the CIF in CA.

In Florida you can do whatever you want. Many teams practice on Sunday since the High Schools can't do anything. Some HS coaches try to prevent players from playing TB but they are largely ignored.

Sep 29, 2014
From what I remember last year from watching the LLWS (Softball) last year at that level (world series) it is basically a national travel ball tournament there are not any local rec teams out there, it's just a matter of local rules and teams focus as to which team can make a run at it.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego

Not true for all of California. CIF San Diego section specifically prohibits any TB contact for HS players during the season at any time. DD's TB catcher, who is also the HS catcher, cannot catch for DD during a private pitching lesson. It's affectionately :mad: known in San Diego as the Dodd rule.

Jan 25, 2011
Why would a travel ball player want to play back down in rec league? To win a rec league trophy?

But the trophy looks cool. I hear what you are saying and it makes me wonder if that's what could be going on here. Dd is a pitcher and has been asked several times by this same coach to transfer to his HS. He also is the varsity coach at that school. My dd doesn't play HS softball, just TB, women's league in the city near us and a junior league made up of different HS teams. The women's league is great, because it has a lot of college girls on the teams. So the LL thing is kind of a stretch for me at least. You have to remember here, that my dd lost all of her 14u years because of her brain surgery and last year was her official come back at 16u. I really think she is trying to make up for the 2 years she lost.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13