Oh boy...scrimmage yesterday with mound at 43 ft for the first time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
The girls did a scrimmage yesterday, and for the first time, experienced hitting pitches from 43 feet. Needless to say, we have major timing issues across the board (my dd included). This sucks. LOL. Hoping the coaches figure out what needs to be done before our first major tournament in 2 weeks...could be they just need more exposure to 43 feet pitching which they will get from here on out. Will tell dd's pitching/hitting coach on Wednesday too.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
The girls did a scrimmage yesterday, and for the first time, experienced hitting pitches from 43 feet. Needless to say, we have major timing issues across the board (my dd included). This sucks. LOL. Hoping the coaches figure out what needs to be done before our first major tournament in 2 weeks...could be they just need more exposure to 43 feet pitching which they will get from here on out. Will tell dd's pitching/hitting coach on Wednesday too.

Timing with the new 14U 43' foot rule?

Aug 14, 2011
I donot recall my DD or team having any major timing issues in making the switch to 43'...Does DD and team perhap spend to much time hittting off a machine???

Jan 25, 2011
Most of the time the longer distance, gives the batter somewhat of an advantage. Until the pitchers get use to it and also they grow a little more. I think you may have to look into what they are doing in practice. Good luck

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Our 12U scrimmaged yesterday too on a high school field where we could not move the 43' rubber. That was interesting.

The girls ended up pitching from about 42' (just in front of the rubber) for some reason? PC finally has DD driving off the rubber, so not being there yesterday created a big issue for DD. No drive, no explosion, and loss of velocity and some accuracy too.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Most of the time the longer distance, gives the batter somewhat of an advantage. Until the pitchers get use to it and also they grow a little more. I think you may have to look into what they are doing in practice. Good luck

I thought this would be the case for my dd but, to be honest, she became a lot better pitcher at this distance and hitters had a very hard time with her movement.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I agree with above. Hitting should be an easier adjustment. And I've had dd doing long throws for years, so when we went to 43' it was never a problem. In fact my plate to rubber distance is 45' that we practice with at home in the back yard... this just makes it look easier on a game time mound.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you think that was fun, try playing at 40' one week and 43' the next, then back to 40', then back to 43'......it was horrible last year when some sanctions went to 43' and some stayed at 40'. We also brought some of it on ourselves, by playing up a couple of tournaments.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is a timing adjustment for the batters, and the pitchers need to adjust their release points - movement pitches that are on the corner at 40' can be 6" outside at 43' if the pitcher has good movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24