Offensive and Defensive Strategies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I have played and been around softball my entire life. However, I am moving into a head coaching role and need to develop strategies I believe in and plan to use with my team (14u). What resources do you recommend that I read? What are some of your favorite strategies that you use or stand by?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
All I ever needed to learn about softball I learned from Michelangelo: "Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."

There are only a very few great teams around. For your team to be great, you have to be able to be able to beat those teams. You aren't going to be able to beat them by having sloppy execution.

(1) Run the other team into the ground. bunt, slap, steal and make the other team make plays. Don't wait for the big hit--you may never get it. Force the other team to bring their corners in, and make their outfielders move to backup the bases if you have a runner on base. Make them move.
(2) Defense--perfect defensive play. Every player has been taught how to field and throw the ball. Everyone knows how to play every position--so, the kids know what problems their teammates face. (Doesn't mean they play every position in a game, but they have played the position at practice, and have been taught how to play the position.) Relays are precisely executed. Girls are challenged to play the game correctly.
(3) Pitching--avoid giving up the big hit.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Good advice Ray. The wild card is:
(3) Pitching--avoid giving up the big hit.
Sometimes we tip our cap to the batter as all of our pitchers
will throw the perfect pitch in the perfect situation and the batter will hit it into
the next county.

I do agree with Ray, it is all about execution and your players understanding their respective roles

Feb 6, 2009
I agree with Ray. Make things happen offensively. Hit and run, steal, dbl steal, bunt, etc. We were just playing a U14 tournament against a team we were clearly better than (but didn't play that way). We didn't play well to start and they were up in the last inning. The field was all sandy so nothing went through the infield even if it was hit well lol. But it was perfect for bunting. Last inning we put down 6 bunts. They were playing back with the big lead and we bunted till they moved in. By then it was too late. They couldn't stop us and we scored 5 runs and won 5-4.

Defensively-- With any luck you have the right kids in the right positions with the right ability by U14. I find OF is usually weaker because no one really works it enough. They have to know footwork (drop backs), proper fielding, throwing, staying in front of the ball (not turning singles to triples), back ups etc. What I see really missing from teams alot though is OF knowing what to do with the ball in critical situations and OF missing the cut off. We are woking it over and over. It's rare I see a team execute the cut play correct. 90% of the time the OF misses cut (if the cut shows up lol). Throws ball over catcher and a single turns into 2 or 3 bases. It's critical to teach cut off correct. Have catcher guide cut off left or right. Have OF throw ball to cut or one hop it in. Never over the cut. We're doing this till blue in the face. We're practicing in side and after warming up having all the players make a 120 foot throw that is line drive throw or one hop. Then keep workign the cut play to perfection.

Also think once you're happy with you're IF defense (basic fielding and bunt coverages) you need 4 or 5 key plays that they can run naturally. Checking runners. Running at them when they get to far off the bag and getting the out. A throwdown play on a steal or walk with a runner on 3rd. We're going to work of these all winter and hopefully the girls will make it look natural. A play where they know the out is at first and you concede the run.

Jul 9, 2010
There are the "by the book" plays, that everyones does - ie batting with a runner on 1 with no outs.

I like to mix things up, like do a fake bunt slap in that situation, bunt with 2 strikes, suicide squeeze plays, etc. At the end of the day - it is exactly what sluggers said - making the other team make plays.

Sep 3, 2009
(1) Run the other team into the ground. bunt, slap, steal and make the other team make plays.

Excellent advice.. force them into making a mistake. They will get worn down, and a few errors can really kill their attitude and momentum.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Great post Ray. I was coaching a young 14U team playing an older better 14U team and knew our chances were slim. I had every kid bunt, because I knew they only had one weakness. We beat them and the other coach was just a litte upset. Rays rule #1. Plus I have my kids learn to bunt on two strikes with a runner on third. It drives team's nuts. My dd did this three times this summer scoring the runner every time.

Nov 30, 2009
My Plan to Win:

1. Play Great Defense
For me this means making all the routine plays, being conservative on defense, and avoiding ever giving up more than 2 runs in an inning.

2. Score First
Whenever possible. If the other team was up and didn't score, we will play for one so as to get the lead and put even more pressure on opponent.
3. No Walks
Force theopponent to show they can hit/execute. The geatest defense cannot do anything to help defend a walk
4. Never get the first out at Third
This will depend a little on your level of play. The lower the level of play, the more wild and high scoring the games, the less precision and more just sending everyone.

Apr 27, 2009
Pitcher humor that's also true: I disagree with No. 3 unless you put the same thing on fielders "no errors on batted balls/plays at first." I am sticking up for my pitchers who tell me they get in far more trouble for ONE walk than the coach's daughter does for her errors.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Agree with that, Screwball. Too many coaches are scared to death of walks. You don't want to start out every inning with one, obviously, but neither do you want to throw all strikes unless you can really blow the ball by the hitters.

With runners on base, and a big hitter at the plate, sometimes a walk is your best option. When I was at the NFCC, the instructors were talking about a situation with bases loaded and Crystal Bustos at the plate. John Tschida, Jay Miller and Carrie Dever-Boaz all agreed on the strategy: intentional walk. Better to give up one run than four.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30