Offensive and Defensive Strategies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
I don't like the "never walk" rule for pitchers. Infact, I worry more when my pitchers never get walks, because that tells me they are only throwing strikes and not challenging batters. I do have a "never walk the lead-off hitter rule", though. In 12u, 9 times out of 10 the leadoff runner will score on us if they get on base (we're weak in the catching dept.).

-W

May 5, 2008
Some coaching DVDs Marc has available...

http://www.getdirtyfastpitch.com and http://www.unconventionalsoftballoffense.com

One of the toughest things about being head coach is ORGANIZING everything and still having time to think about the "softball" part of it. If you have obnoxious parents, this becomes even more of a problem.

Assign someone to help you with "administrative" stuff (unless you REALLY like that part of the job) and make sure you have a parent meeting before season starts so it's clear what vision and expectations you have for the season.

Have fun!

Jan 19, 2011
It only takes one run and 21 routine outs to win a ball game. If your fundamentlly sound you'll make the routine plays.

May 5, 2008
It only takes one run and 21 routine outs to win a ball game. If your fundamentlly sound you'll make the routine plays.

I know many coaches who talk about making routine plays and about how if you just make the routine plays, you'll have a great chance to win. And yet, they fail to strive for perfection in "routine." They want to jump ahead to "advanced" drills, skills, and tactics and barely work "routine." Or when they do work "routine" they allow players to approach the routine play in a "non-routine" manner (i.e. catching and throwing on the run ALL the time). They talk about stressing routine plays, but allow players to practice "hollywood" style more often than not.

Jan 23, 2009
My Plan to Win:

1. Play Great Defense
For me this means making all the routine plays, being conservative on defense, and avoiding ever giving up more than 2 runs in an inning.

2. Score First
Whenever possible. If the other team was up and didn't score, we will play for one so as to get the lead and put even more pressure on opponent.
3. No Walks
Force theopponent to show they can hit/execute. The geatest defense cannot do anything to help defend a walk
4. Never get the first out at Third
This will depend a little on your level of play. The lower the level of play, the more wild and high scoring the games, the less precision and more just sending everyone.

Regarding #3...

And crap defense will ruin the best pitching. One of the most frustrating aspects of the game is when the pitcher executes a drop to the middle of the order, generates a 2 hopper, and gets tagged with a base hit (and maybe runs) when the infield fails to make a hustle play. If you are going to tell your pitchers to walk no one, you better have 4 infielders ready to lay out for ground balls. If you have that great of a defense, god bless you. But sometimes the pitcher needs to generate strikeouts to win the game, and that requires living on the edges on the strike zone (generally, unless you are at 12U and younger, where speed can dominate). I'm perfectly happy with 3-4 walks if the pitcher delivers 9-12 K's with them.

Nov 1, 2009
1. Play good defense. Practice all the plays and realize that mistakes will happen. If you are prepared defensively many teams (aggressive base runners) take themselves out of the game.
2. Be patient. Good softball teams don't give up many runs and if you are a good team you won't either. Let the pressure of the game always fall on your opponent.
3. Have pitchers not throwers. Make sure the players can execute when the pressure is on.
4. Always play to score one run. Many teams make strategic mistakes and one run innings turn into three or four runs.

Realize you are not going to win every game but play each game like you are confident your team will find a way to win. Require your team to have fun while they are playing and never make it anything more than a game. Win or lose always be a good sport and respect the game of softball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30