OF is a Good Position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Honestly, as the parent of a college outfielder, parent do these kids a disservice when they tell them which positions to play by how much money they will get for school. A good outfielder who can hit ( or who is so fast on the bases that she is extremely hard to get out) will get money. Yes, pitchers and catchers are high profile positions, but they are not the only ones who get money.

Mine was recruited as an outfielder, had outfielder on her profile, etc. As we have said on our team, "Outfield may not win you games, but it can sure lose you games." As we get older, I have changed that somewhat because a great catch in the outfield can preserve that win. Ask pitchers how much they love outfielders.

Thank you Atlanta,
My DD also was recruited as an outfielder and she also received a great offer. She is a lead off hitter and speed is her bread and butter. I agree, pitchers and catchers are the first recruited but there is money for the exceptional out fielder. My DD loves the outfield and plays it with pride. Caitlin Lowe is my DD's role model. Now there is an athlete! You can't "hide" bad players in the outfield at the higher levels.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DD1 is an outfielder as is proud to say so! If you want to see one angry girl let her hear you say "anyone can play outfield." Whay drives me crazy are coaches who get caught up on the outfielders who are jumping up and laying out to make OF catches. Don't get me wrong, those plays "look" impressive and sometimes they're necessary, but give me the girl who can read the ball, track it and be waiting for it to get to her with the arm to gun it anywhere on the field. That girl is a ballplayer!

Wow! Your 5 sentences got me pumped! Nice!

Last edited:
DD started playing OF after a career of MI last season. Loves it. It was an adjustment at first because there is less action, but she loves making that running catch when it is out there. She went to a few camps this summer and she chose to work in the OF at all but one instead of at 2B. We've just started sending out letters to colleges and she lists herself as a OF/2B.

I loved being out there when I was a kid and I am glad she has figured out that those are great positions to play.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nothing to do with anything but DD’s Teams CF runs like the wind. I wish DD was as athletic as she is. As soon as the ball is hit she is off, gets to every ball. Too bad she cannot catch or throw the ball but she looks good. I would love to be able to spend a couple weeks with her.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
DD has played CF since she was moved from SS at 14. She is the lead off hitter as a lefty slapper and got the nick name Swifty for a reason. She caught a foul ball in left field from CF, which opened some eyes. College moves most SS to outfield, that is because they lack good out fielder with speed. She got a very good offer and will be playing OF in college. Most parents don't understand how important this position is in college. Even in high school most kids are upset if they are told they are playing OF. DD loves Laura Berg, has got to talk to her and work with her on slapping.

Aug 7, 2012
Watching an OF (the younger the better) get on a horse and shag down a ball hit deep into the gap always puts a smile on my face. Also, hearing calls of 'you were robbed' from the opposing team also delights! ;)

Is it me, or is it that at the younger ages those are the plays that get the biggest cheers?

Apr 1, 2010
Watching an OF (the younger the better) get on a horse and shag down a ball hit deep into the gap always puts a smile on my face. Also, hearing calls of 'you were robbed' from the opposing team also delights! ;)

Is it me, or is it that at the younger ages those are the plays that get the biggest cheers?

I love watching great outfield play. I've never forgotten watching Amos Otis when I was a kid. I wish DD had those skills!

Those big outfield catches are so exciting at the younger ages IMO, because you're expecting to see the ruination of the game and then it's suddenly saved, brought back from the brink. It's huge excitement and huge relief all rolled up into one. A grounder in the infield just can't compare.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD loves playing OF too. When they kept playing her infield, she would sometimes make that comment about how she misses the OF. So whenever we tryout, she puts down "corners, OF and pitcher". :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Love seeing a runner thrown out at home from the OF, or at third from center or Right, well unless she is on my team, but I love to see the good throw.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd