% of full ride scholarships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Another tale of financial awards that we had happen at U of Chicago - When my son would take a job, such as residence hall advisor, his financial award would diminish by the amount he was being paid. That was a bite.

Also, we learned that children are much better off having zero money in their name, than they are having $10,000. We were watching people spend their money and we were thinking 'What the heck?"

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
so doing the quick math in my head. If 46% of the scholarships in softball are full rides. And the average monetary award was under $8500. In order to balance out the full rides that means the average award for those not receiving a full ride must be some where south of $4000.

Sure its good money, but is it worth paying the balance of your college bill and having the degree you receive be impacted by the amount of time necessary to be on the team?

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
I was surprised to see that other sports get less scholarship money than I thought. I was under the impression that football, men and women basketball and a few other sports were all full scholarships (100%). I shouldn't be happy but I always thought that was unfair.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I was surprised to see that other sports get less scholarship money than I thought. I was under the impression that football, men and women basketball and a few other sports were all full scholarships (100%). I shouldn't be happy but I always thought that was unfair.

Factor in walk ons who get nothing and the Division II kids who are often offered partials and thats the difference between the Division 1 football players who get full scholarships and the numbers you see on the chart.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Good points, all. Just recognize that the numbers are 8-13 years old and things may be somewhat different now (i.e., total and avg. award $ probably should be adjusted upward for inflation).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The top two or three pitchers get a full ride, while the top two catchers get a full ride. Usually, the cleanup hitter and the lead-off hitter get 50% or so. That doesn't leave much for the rest of the team.

As a point of reference, my DD (a pitcher) received a full ride (tuition plus housing) for three years, and a 50% one year. She went to college for five years, so I had to pay for 1.5 years of college for her. I also had a to pay quite a bit of money for incidentals--with softball, she couldn't have a part time job. There is no question that her grades suffered.

Sure its good money, but is it worth paying the balance of your college bill and having the degree you receive be impacted by the amount of time necessary to be on the team?

Only if the athlete really loves to play softball...

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Of course, do not forget to weigh the investment against the return.

And about now, someone may chime in about how it was for their daughter and they didn't have a problem spending all that money, yada, yada, yada. However, nowhere am I suggesting your DD not play softball or that you not support her. But a girl could still play without some of tournaments and travel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06