% of full ride scholarships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Found this data sheet yesterday. It's a few years old but it gives some good information on how athletic scholarships are divided.

2c5d046f.jpg
[/IMG]

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The scary part is the yearly value.....at $8,255 per year average for softball, a lot of families are spending more than that per year on TB! LOL

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The scary part is the yearly value.....at $8,255 per year average for softball, a lot of families are spending more than that per year on TB! LOL

What is really interesting is that the daughters of most of those people ALWAYS receive a full ride. Don't ever remember anyone bragging about TB and saying, "Yeah, man! We had all sorts of offers and my daughter received a quarter scholy!"

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What is really interesting is that the daughters of most of those people ALWAYS receive a full ride. Don't ever remember anyone bragging about TB and saying, "Yeah, man! We had all sorts of offers and my daughter received a quarter scholy!"

Yes. And though they might get the full ride or close to one, they don't admit that they maybe got a "portion" of an athletic scholarship, then a portion of merit money ( academic ) and maybe a portion of smaller individual scholarships. ( state lottery etc ) They want you to believe it was all about their athletic talent. :)

Jul 28, 2008
That's it! My kid is now going to play hockey!

On a serious note, I have always maintained that she does not play travel ball for a scholarship, but just to play a sport she loves at a high level. I want her to concentrate on studies when at college.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You would be surprised how having the softball coach recruit you, also helps you get the academic money.

There is a wise baseball coach at Uof IL. that insists that his players pay about $2,000 towards their education each year. They either want to be at UofI or they don't.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

My daughter got a great offer and took it. It was not close to being 100%. You are right and yet, we heard about all the others on full rides. IMO, you have to know all of the various ways of getting monies. DD had a combined athletic and academic offer which was very good. Still, room and board are on us. Keep in mind that the athletic monies are not set in stone. They can be increased (rare) or decreased (common). That academic money will remain the same as long as the grades are there. If not, they are totally gone.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
That academic money will remain the same as long as the grades are there. If not, they are totally gone.

This is just about the key to getting money from any school. It is still flattering having a school persue you to play for them reguardless of how much money they throw around. Getting to go somewhere you love and play a sport at a high level while doing so has to be an amazing feeling.

Sort of a shocking list.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My daughter got a great offer and took it. It was not close to being 100%. You are right and yet, we heard about all the others on full rides. IMO, you have to know all of the various ways of getting monies. DD had a combined athletic and academic offer which was very good. Still, room and board are on us. Keep in mind that the athletic monies are not set in stone. They can be increased (rare) or decreased (common). That academic money will remain the same as long as the grades are there. If not, they are totally gone.

This IS key. I have a friend who at the time was into educational financing. He gave her tips on many sources that often go unnoticed.

She received $250 a semester because she had the right middle name. Another $500 based on her birthday coinciding with that of a particular benefactor. Some think "chump change", but it all adds up and is that much less that needed financing.

She spent a lot of time in the library (for you younger ones, that is the large building where they store all those old, dusty-collecting things called books) researching.

There is money out there, you just have to find it.

Apr 1, 2010
That's it! My kid is now going to play hockey!

On a serious note, I have always maintained that she does not play travel ball for a scholarship, but just to play a sport she loves at a high level. I want her to concentrate on studies when at college.

Ice hockey, yes, but did anyone notice that the number of scholarships given in rowing is over 40% of the number of HS girls even participating in rowing (2359)? And the number of co-eds receiving some college money for rowing is over 97% of that number? It sounds almost as though if you know one end of an oar from the other, you could get a scholarship, LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06