odd style I saw

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
I saw a girl at a HS tourney with the oddest style. Here is what she did as best I can describe it.
She starts Square like any pitcher Then steps forward And stays perfectly Square And does not go sideways at all Her leg comes real high and she delivers the ball while still in contact with the rubber. Is this a style that she was taught you think?
Or did she just teach herself.

She did seem efective though kind of on the slow side. Without a gun my guess would be in the low 50s range. She was awful tall for a girl as well she walked by me in the parking lot and I guess 6ft 3 or 4.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think its called Step style. I have seen it before. Usually in bigger girls who aren't as athletic but who are strong. My guess is that it was more common years ago. I am sure someone with more info then me will be along soon to better explain.

Oct 22, 2009
In step they actually do turn sideways, there is a style here taught by a coach where they do not turn their hips at all, but they do push off.

Yours sounds like a combination of the two styles.

Seems with that length she could throw much faster with a push and or a turn.

Mar 13, 2010
Step style (which from what I can gather from what people have said here I pitch, as I have no leap) still turn their body sideways. I have a picture of myself taken last week, where I'm halfway through the motion and I'm fully facing third base. You still push off the rubber in step, there's still the exploding towards the plate. There's just no leap.

It's a pitcher who wasn't taught properly. I see it here all the time. One of the most common errors at my association, is that the girls never pivot. At all. Most of my time is spent teaching these girls to pivot before moving onto anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red