Odd Interpretation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Had a very interesting play the other day. We were in the field. 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd. Better hits a fly ball to right center field and our right fielder catches the ball, but it comes out when she lands. Runner on 2nd takes off on the hit and comes around to touch home. Runner on 1st gets confused and stops between the bases. Returns to 1st when she thought it was caught. We relay the ball in to 1st. BR has touched 1st by then. The baserunner who occupied 1st at the pitch then runs toward 2nd, where the 1st basement runs her down and tags her for the 3rd out.

I go out and question the BU about the catch/no catch. He says she must maintain possession when hitting the ground.
Me: "Okay. Does the run count?"
Blue "Yes, it does."
Me: "But the runner was forced to go to 2nd base and she never made it before she got out."
Blue: "Coach, you didn't get a force out. You did not throw to 2nd base. They tagged her."
Me: "Correct, but she was forced to go to 2nd base. Didn't make it, therefore it's not a timing play."
Blue: "Coach, it was not a force out. The run counts."
Me: "Is that your final interpretation that you're going with?"
Blue: "Yes"
Me: "I protest based upon your rules interpretation!"
Blue: "Okay, I hope you don't mind losing a protest!"
UIC: "So the runner on 1st never made it to 2nd before she was out? No, the run does not count!"

There are some umpires that I wonder about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish