Obstruction or Bad Break?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
We, or I guess I should say at least the umpires in my area are taught to leave the bat alone. The catcher knows where it is at and if the umpire moves it we could potentially move it somewhere that the catcher isnt aware of and cause more problems. I have also been told there was a local case where the umpire moved the bat and a claim was later filed against the umpire for damaging to the bat.

If there is nothing going on at the plate and the on deck batter can get out there, move it and clear the area, sure, get the bat and move it. But, more times than I can count I have had a runner coming down the 3rd baseline, a throw coming in and suddenly I have another helmet coming into view from the side to clear a bat. At that point, leave the bat alone and stay out of the way.

Jul 10, 2012
We are instructed to do the same thing in our area, leave the bat alone it is now part of the playing surface.

last year in high school game the lefty dropped a few feet in front of home plate throw in from out field comes and hits the bat I guess on the sweet spot because the bounced out to almost 2nd base. 2 runs score everyone was looking at what happened say "What the ...!" coach came screaming out of the dugout. Play stands. Craziest play I have seen in awhile.

Mar 26, 2013
If there is nothing going on at the plate and the on deck batter can get out there, move it and clear the area, sure, get the bat and move it. But, more times than I can count I have had a runner coming down the 3rd baseline, a throw coming in and suddenly I have another helmet coming into view from the side to clear a bat. At that point, leave the bat alone and stay out of the way.
How about a bat boy?

JT-Snow-Saves-Darren-Baker-in-2002-World-Series.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207