Obligated to play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
So on her own, with zero input from me, she discussed the weekend with the Gold coach and made a decision. She is going to play the Friday and Saturday games with the older team. The team gets back one of their pitchers Sunday, so she is less needed. She can then spend a day doing whatever kids do on a weekend. She is extremely excited about playing with the "Big" girls, as she calls them.

It sounds like you have a very driven and intelligent girl. Good luck to her and I commend her on working out a compromise that helped all the parties involved. I'm sure the Gold Coach is impressed by her decision. And I bet her friends all understood too.

Apr 11, 2012
Wow...some of you folks are over the top. Comparing softball to a job? Let's not forget these kids PLAY a game. When WE turn our kids lives into nothing but softball, softball, softball (You can insert any sport) is when we should seek some help. Keep the sport we love a GAME and not a JOB for these girls.

If my daughter passed up the chance to play up I would respect it no matter what her reasons.

amen...."it's not if you win or lose...it's how you play the game that counts"....

getting a $150k + education paid for because you became good at something when there's "hanging with your homies" to be done, is just plain old crazy....

Mar 13, 2010
getting a $150k + education paid for because you became good at something when there's "hanging with your homies" to be done, is just plain old crazy....

I think you'll find if you put the money away that you spend on sport you'll find you probably have that money elsewhere. Plus, softball is not where the big bucks arrive. (this is of course ignoring all the OTHER benefits that come from sport)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

If its the end result of DD's perseverance and hard work pursuing her dreams and goals, that's awesome.; however, if this is the objective that parents are pushing their DD's to reach, its truly sad, because 99.9% will fail. Regardless of whether its softball, violin, chemistry, theatre, tiddlywinks, there is a difference, and if you don't recognize and accept it, you risk alienating your DD. Now that's just plain old crazy, IMO, but your mileage obviously varied.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Last Update- DD pitched really well over the weekend.
13 IP 6R 2ER 7K 1BB 1W 1L
She got the ball on Fri against a team that finished in top 5 @ ASA Gold Nationals last year. Now I know it wasnt the same girls, but was nervous for DD to say the least. She took a tough 2-0 loss, on a bunt/throwing error with 2 outs in the 5th. I have never been prouder during a loss. Pitched out of her mind. Came back Saturday night and got a win(5-4), even though she wasn't quite as sharp. She battled the entire game trying to keep the drop down in the zone. Overall, it was a tremendous experience. She loved pitching with the older girls behind her. She even got invited back to another tournament with them, when her team is dark. Looking forward to getting out there this week at practice. I have a feeling she will be chomping at the bit to work this week.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
I think you'll find if you put the money away that you spend on sport you'll find you probably have that money elsewhere. Plus, softball is not where the big bucks arrive. (this is of course ignoring all the OTHER benefits that come from sport)

We have spent no where near the $100,000 my DD's scholarship is worth on softball related expenses.

Apr 11, 2012

Can you please expand your financial advise and savings tips for us....I'm not quite sure what you mean in your statement.

Girls softball NCAA Division 1 can give up to 12 scholarships....Division 2 has 7.2....none for Division 3....some NAIA and JuCo's have more than schorarships than Division 1 schools do I believe....... one of my DD's offer from a NCAA D2 private school is worth well over $100k...and that's not covering everything ($38k per year)....I don't know about you, but anything over $100k worth of an education sounds like "big bucks" to me....

Apr 11, 2012
Last Update- DD pitched really well over the weekend.
13 IP 6R 2ER 7K 1BB 1W 1L
She got the ball on Fri against a team that finished in top 5 @ ASA Gold Nationals last year. Now I know it wasnt the same girls, but was nervous for DD to say the least. She took a tough 2-0 loss, on a bunt/throwing error with 2 outs in the 5th. I have never been prouder during a loss. Pitched out of her mind. Came back Saturday night and got a win(5-4), even though she wasn't quite as sharp. She battled the entire game trying to keep the drop down in the zone. Overall, it was a tremendous experience. She loved pitching with the older girls behind her. She even got invited back to another tournament with them, when her team is dark. Looking forward to getting out there this week at practice. I have a feeling she will be chomping at the bit to work this week.

also congrats to your DD....that's a great story and example of sacrifices that players need to make sometimes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd