Now I remember why I disliked rec ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
Does this rule not apply to the rest of the country?

I think we're different here in Minnesota but I understood what SoCalDad was talking about and didn't really understand why anyone would be complaining. We have a number of girls in our community who used to play travel and now play rec. Reasons may be:

1. They play another sport that eats up there time so they can't commit to the heavy commitment of travel. Heck one girl was playing rec baseball (not softball) because she was on the travel soccer team. The soccer coach demanded more time out of her which was going to ruin her hockey season so she switched to travel softball cause we'll accommodate her hockey schedule.
2. They don't feel they can compete at travel levels anymore.
3. They want to play with their friends.
4. They (and their parents) just don't want that heavy of a commitment.

I wish SoCalDad and his DD lots of success on the season and the tournament.

Mar 15, 2010
Quick update on the board meeting last night. Me and my DDs rec coach were brought into a closed door session with the exec board, the mom that doesn't like me and the other coach. I will spare everyone the gory details but she left with her tail between her legs. The other coach was given a warning that if there is a repeat of this behavior in any future games, especially when we play again in two weeks, he will forfeit and be suspended a game. Hopefully that is the last of it and the parents can now focus their energy (positive I hope) back on the girls where it belongs.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
For me, the question comes down to what you can do vs. what you should do. The SoCal ASA rules may allow your travel ball daughter to play and dominate regular season rec ball, but for what purpose? I don't think you should have pitched her in the regular season since 95% of these girls are truly rec players who will not play on the All-Star team and are playing more to learn some softball fundamentals and have fun. Once the regular season ends, go ahead and pitch your DD as much as you like in the tournaments. IMO, I want my daughter facing the best competition she can, not mowing down inferior competition. I would have sat her down, explained to her the difference between travel and rec ball so she knows why she is playing RF, catcher, etc. instead of pitching.

With that said, I think it is a disgrace for the parents of the other team to boo, harrass, or yell at the opposing team's players. These girls are just kids and are our daughters; the coaches and managers are where the real blame lies.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
With that said, I think it is a disgrace for the parents of the other team to boo, harrass, or yell at the opposing team's players. These girls are just kids and are our daughters; the coaches and managers are where the real blame lies.

If it wasn't for adults, youth softball would be fun.

Mar 15, 2010
...I don't think you should have pitched her in the regular season since 95% of these girls are truly rec players who will not play on the All-Star team and are playing more to learn some softball fundamentals and have fun...

For the record I have no say in whether my DD pitches in her rec league games or not. That is up to her rec team coach. Prior to the start of rec season every team in her division knew she would be joining after March 31st as a pitcher. Every team had an equal opportunity to have my DD join their team, they just had to be in last place. In terms of dominance the rec league has another pitcher in the same division that is 6 - 0 and has pitched a couple of shut outs. That pitcher averages 8- 10 Ks a game and has pitched every inning of every rec game this season. Should that other pitcher be required to play other positions than pitcher because she is so dominating? Perhaps but that is a decision the coach needs to make and not me. My DD will be competing against this pitcher for the starting pitcher spot on the tourney team and does not have a lock on the starting position. To keep my DD from having any pitching opportunities would put her at a competitive disadvantage and that is not fair.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
For the record I have no say in whether my DD pitches in her rec league games or not. That is up to her rec team coach. Prior to the start of rec season every team in her division knew she would be joining after March 31st as a pitcher. Every team had an equal opportunity to have my DD join their team, they just had to be in last place. In terms of dominance the rec league has another pitcher in the same division that is 6 - 0 and has pitched a couple of shut outs. That pitcher averages 8- 10 Ks a game and has pitched every inning of every rec game this season. Should that other pitcher be required to play other positions than pitcher because she is so dominating? Perhaps but that is a decision the coach needs to make and not me. My DD will be competing against this pitcher for the starting pitcher spot on the tourney team and does not have a lock on the starting position. To keep my DD from having any pitching opportunities would put her at a competitive disadvantage and that is not fair.

With all due respect, any All-Star manager worth a hill of beans would immediately recognize a top travel ball player/pitcher playing among rec players. You said you come from a small community, I'm sure everyone knows the level of softball talent around them. Once she is on the All-Star team, she can demonstrate her pitching talent to the manager/coaches. If she is better than the other starting pitcher it will be obvious from day 1. Is she really at a competitive disadvantge not pitching every game to sub-par rec batters during the regular season.

It sounds like to me that she is being "showcased" in the regular season to impress the other managers so that she will be guaranteed the starting spot on the All-Star team, maybe to the detriment of the other rec league players?

Apr 13, 2010
With all due respect, any All-Star manager worth a hill of beans would immediately recognize a top travel ball player/pitcher playing among rec players. You said you come from a small community, I'm sure everyone knows the level of softball talent around them. Once she is on the All-Star team, she can demonstrate her pitching talent to the manager/coaches. If she is better than the other starting pitcher it will be obvious from day 1. Is she really at a competitive disadvantge not pitching every game to sub-par rec batters during the regular season.

It sounds like to me that she is being "showcased" in the regular season to impress the other managers so that she will be guaranteed the starting spot on the All-Star team, maybe to the detriment of the other rec league players?

Given that line of reasoning I'm petitioning to have the undefeated pitcher benched because she is ruining the spirit of rec ball.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Good grief folks! This child chose to sacrifice development of her skills for her friends. This obviously is not the first time this child played in the league. SoCalDad clearly stated that the All Star team would not exist if they would not have sufficient pitching. Did it have to be her? No, but it doesn't appear anyone else was stepping up. I get the impression that the All Star team would contain girls of similar skills. She, her dad, and the coach all appear to have tried to be fair to the other players and teams while she is fulfilling her playing requirement in the rec league. Even in travel ball, there are teams and players that are dominant. Whether anyone agrees or not, it is inexcusable that ADULTS were allowed to badger her and set that example for the kids. I encourage my DD to play sports to keep healthy physically and to learn compassion, teamwork, healthy competition and sportsmanship and to make friends and have fun. Unfortunately, it appears some in that community have forgotten those values.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2009
CT
Maybe the problem with some of the parents is that this team is no longer the sure "W" that it used to be. After going 0-6, I'll bet that a lot of the kids on the team felt pretty good about finally getting a win, and not being the doormat of the league anymore. Sounds to me that she wants to be able to be part of the all-star team, and is just looking to get a few innings of pitching in when she plays. If her rec coach wants to use her to close out a game once in a while, what exactly is the problem? As long as he not unfairly robbing the other pitchers of their fair share of innings, I really don't see the issue. A lot of responses here seem to be assuming that her and her dad's motivations are just to look good dominating weaker players. I just don't see it based on how it has been described.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00