Noticed something this week

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2008
OK.....dd made JV and her season is over. Went to varsity sctional game on Monday. I am normally coaching so I don't notice stuff that I notice in the stands. First of all our team is solid and maybe 8th in the state. Great pitching and d and average hitting. The team we played horrible hitting. Anyway I noticed girls taking practice swings and smacking the back of their arms and backs with the bat. OUCH! I am talking full force swings? I mentioned to my wife that I thought that was incorrect. Her reply, " honey most of the girls to that."

I am not a pro, but it seems wrong! Plus these poor kids have to have a perinant bruise???

Am I correct?

May 7, 2008
DFW
Not correct

A batter hitting the their back at finish is not correct. Its an indication that they do not have the correct hand path to the ball and in most instances have been taught to swing down on the ball. The reverse hand drill as Howard Carrier explains it on here is a good place to begin with the correction of this issue.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It also indicates a lack of extension through the ball. They get to the contact point and cut off the swing rather than making contact and continuing through the ball. I agree the reverse hand drill is a good one to get them to stop. Of course, if the girls doing it were on the other team you may not want to correct it. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00