Not using pitching machine in practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2010
We have been going without our pitching machine in practice for the last month. Instead coaches pitch most of the live pitching and then have a 6 on 6 inning for the last 15 minutes where our pitchers pitch live. It appears that our batters have gotten alot stronger and confident at the plate. Has anyone else experienced this or do you still recommend using the machine? Or perhaps you use the machine in a way that I am not aware of. If this has been posted before I apologize.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I haven't used a pitching machine for over 10 years, although I have a Jugs machine. I think that they are awful and that includes the ones at the indoor facilities.

Jul 26, 2010
I use them, but I'm not particularly fond of them. I like live pitching much more.

Machines have their use. If you're teaching how to hit a particular location, you can trust the machine to always hit it's spots, and the girls can trust it too, which is important when you're teaching them to hit the inside pitches. Machines are useful to see swing mechanics as they hit a full speed ball, compare it to their swing off a T, and compare it to how they hit live pitchers. This helps the coach identify problem spots and where the mechanics may break down.

I don't consider spending an hour with a machine "hitting practice", it's just "swinging practice".

-W

May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
Here's my take on the situation... Spent a lot of time this winter working on a new swing. Used the "T" to develop the mechanics of the swing. Once that gets close to what you want, then we moved into the cage with the machine to work on the basic part of timing as it relates to the new swing mechanics. Once you (as the coach) are happy with the mechanics staying the same as with the "T" and the timing is working for the batter then its time to work with the live pitching.

Absolutely the best thing for a batter is live pitching. But, IMO it does not make sense to use our pitchers's for batting practice unless the player is ready for it. Would rather have the mechanically sound player getting live pitching while the player in need is getting individual attention on what is needed mechanically.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
We are still indoors as Spring in NE is just arriving. If you are inside in a net do you put a net in front of the pitcher that they throw through?

Do you stick a catcher back there?

Do you put a net in front of the batter to keep them from getting beamed by the pitcher? I have my ace who hates to pitch BP because she hates the possibility of hitting a team mate. She has no problems if she hits someone else during a game.

Jul 26, 2010
Softball is a contact sport.

I'll say it again. Softball is a contact sport.

IF I'm having my pitchers through BP, IE, throw fastballs for strikes over the plate, then I put a net in front of them. Some prefer to pitch around a solid square net, others like to use the nets that we put in front of the pitching machines with the holes cutout in them. Whichever they are comfortable with is fine.

However, more often I have the pitchers throw practice in the cages with the intent to strike the batters out. They vary their pitches and throw to the corners, never down the middle. They know that if they pitch down the middle, the ball is coming back at them up the middle, so they learn to field the ball.

Inside a cage, the pitcher is the same distance from the batter as they are in the game, it is just as safe, and just as dangerous as pitching in a real game. Some would argue "well it's more confined", but I would say that I've never in my life observed a pitcher running away from the circle when a ball was hit back up the middle to them. The lane between pitcher and batter is exactly the same. The only thing to watch for is that you rotate your pitchers so you don't wear them out too much, and give them a chance to hit as well.

-W

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Kind of agree with Amy. We only use them for timing and we use the Barry Bonds drill for that. I have used two pitching machines for change ups. We have two feeding balls and the hitter doesn't know which machine is going to throw the ball out.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I use them only at the first couple practices after
prolonged time off-for timing. I will use it regularly for bunting
and slapping-not for hitting away, I use screens for this

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I can't stand pitching machines and we never use them. I've hit off of them many times and I cannot time them correctly, even with a good feeder simulating the pitching motion. I always throw batting practice. I throw from about 35 feet and use a full windmill motion. I use a little jump step to get my momentum going because I'm getting old:D I throw a straight fastball and a changeup. I'm not as accurate as a pitching machine or a 14U pitcher, but I do ok. I've never hit a batter in six years, although a few have had to duck.

I had to start using a screen this year because the girls are hitting it too hard and did I mention I was getting old....?

I can go one hour straight without a break. My arm never hurts, but the rest of me is a different story. The funniest part of it all, is that the first batter to face me in the cage on any given day will always ask me if I need to throw a few to warm up. Ha, ha, they don't want me to get loose with them at the plate.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd