Not pitching from the rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The question presented was the pitcher launches the ball over the backstop with the obvious intent to throw the ball out of play. If it was obvious her intent was to throw the ball out of play, would it also not be obvious she threw the ball with the intent to not allow the batter to strike at it? Not that it would make any difference if you called the IP or not, if there were runners on base they are going to move up a base anyway on the ball thrown out of play and its still just a ball on the batter.

But if the game is NCAA or NFHS, and the batter stands there with the bat in the strike zone and fails to pull it back as the ball goes over the backstop........

Mar 2, 2013
I didn't realize this (see bold). Thought this wasn't required until college. So all ages (10U, 12U, etc.) + HS all need to have both feet in contact with the pitching plate for USSSA, ASA + Pony? Also...I think I asked this once some time ago, but what does FED stand for?

Thanks,

T

PONY requires 2 feet. Rule change in 2013.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Also...I think I asked this once some time ago, but what does FED stand for?

FED is shorthand for "National Federation of State High School Associations". That's a mouthful! They often go by the acronym "NFHS".

The NFHS is a national body that formulates rules for a variety of high school sports. Individual states can choose to adopt or not adopt their rules. Last I remember hearing, 48 of the 50 states used NFHS rules for softball (the other two used ASA-based rules).

Mar 26, 2013
... Individual states can choose to adopt or not adopt their rules. Last I remember hearing, 48 of the 50 states used NFHS rules for softball (the other two used ASA-based rules).
States can also choose to make modifications to NFHS rules, so people need to check for local modifications before relying on the NFHS rule book.

Mar 26, 2013
What can they change and where does it say that?
First page, first paragraph -

Member associations of the NFHS independently make decisions regarding compliance with or modification of these playing rules for the student-athletes in their respective states.

I don't know of any limit on what they can change. After all, they can choose to not use NFHS rules.

FWIW, the NFHS softball rules do specifically call out some rules that are optional (e.g. 1-2-1) and other areas that are left wide open for states to determine their rule (e.g. 4-2-3 could include a mercy rule).

SOFTBALL RULES BY STATE ASSOCIATION ADOPTION
1-1-2 Note By state association adoption (S.P.), the pitching distance shall be 50’ when using a 12-inch ball.
1-2-1 Note A double first base is permitted. (8-10)
1-3-6 Note By state association adoption, an 11-inch softball shall be used in girls slow pitch. (1-1-2a)
3-2-1 State associations may, on an individual basis, permit a player to participate while wearing a different style uniform for religious
reasons.
3-3-7 (S.P.): By state association adoption, a team may use an 11th player called an Extra Player, EP.
4-2-3 By state association adoption, game-ending procedures may be determined.
4-2-3 Note 2: By state association adoption, the number of innings for one or both games in a doubleheader may be scheduled for five innings. Current state association game-ending procedures still apply.
4-2-6 By state association adoption, the tie-breaker procedure may be instituted at a point in the game specified by the state association.
4-3-1a State associations are authorized to specify the time frame and/or circumstances before a forfeit will be declared for a late arrival by one of the teams.
4-4-1 It is optional on the part of a state association as to whether protests are permitted.
5-2-1b Note: After 30 minutes, the umpire may declare the game ended or by state association adoption, suspended.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
NFHS carries no real authority. Their rules are basically a guideline or "suggestions" for use by whatever organizations elect to use them, just like ASA's or other sanctioning bodies.