Not pitching from the rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
ASA and FED (dont know about any of the other alphabet rules sets without reviewing them) both have strict ball rotation rules. If the game is started with 2 new balls and one of the balls does not get used in the top half of the 1st inning, the pitcher in the bottom half of the inning must pitch with the unused ball. After that, when the pitcher comes out to pitch at the beginning of a half inning, they may request a different ball, however, if they throw a warm up pitch they have no made their choice and must pitch that ball until it goes out of play or becomes unplayable.

Comp how would you handle this situation? P asks for a new ball, you explain the rules and you refuse. She takes the mound and proceeds to launch her next pitch way over the backstop in an obvious attempt to put the undesirable ball out of play.

Jun 22, 2008
In FED (will have to research ASA) it is illegal for the pitcher to purposely throw a pitch the batter cannot strike. I have an illegal pitch, and if as you stated is was an obvious attempt to purposely get rid of the ball the coach will need to bring in a new pitcher because the one who threw the ball out will be gone for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
In FED (will have to research ASA) it is illegal for the pitcher to purposely throw a pitch the batter cannot strike. I have an illegal pitch, and if as you stated is was an obvious attempt to purposely get rid of the ball the coach will need to bring in a new pitcher because the one who threw the ball out will be gone for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Really?? So pitch-outs are illegal?

Jun 22, 2008
A pitch out the batter still has the opportunity to try and hit the ball, most are close enough the batter could reach them if they wanted to. I have seen more than one batter hit an attempted pitch out.

FED 6-2-1 The pitcher shall not deliberatly drop, roll, bounce, etc. the ball while in the pitching position in order to prevent the batter from striking it.

Jan 20, 2009
A pitch out the batter still has the opportunity to try and hit the ball, most are close enough the batter could reach them if they wanted to. I have seen more than one batter hit an attempted pitch out.

FED 6-2-1 The pitcher shall not deliberatly drop, roll, bounce, etc. the ball while in the pitching position in order to prevent the batter from striking it.

Comp, your posts are usually spot-on, but I think you are stretching it here to defend a rule that is for all intents and purposes unenforceable. If the ball is rolled, bounced, etc, B still has the opportunity to hit that. Even a pitch that is "thrown over the backstop" would be a Ball unless B intentionally swung at it for a Strike, and possibly a U3K which could lead to . . .

And, FWIW, a properly-executed pitchout definitely prevents B from hitting the ball.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Comp, your posts are usually spot-on, but I think you are stretching it here to defend a rule that is for all intents and purposes unenforceable. If the ball is rolled, bounced, etc, B still has the opportunity to hit that. Even a pitch that is "thrown over the backstop" would be a Ball unless B intentionally swung at it for a Strike, and possibly a U3K which could lead to . . .

And, FWIW, a properly-executed pitchout definitely prevents B from hitting the ball.

The question presented was the pitcher launches the ball over the backstop with the obvious intent to throw the ball out of play. If it was obvious her intent was to throw the ball out of play, would it also not be obvious she threw the ball with the intent to not allow the batter to strike at it? Not that it would make any difference if you called the IP or not, if there were runners on base they are going to move up a base anyway on the ball thrown out of play and its still just a ball on the batter.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2009
The question presented was the pitcher launches the ball over the backstop with the obvious intent to throw the ball out of play. If it was obvious her intent was to throw the ball out of play, would it also not be obvious she threw the ball with the intent to not allow the batter to strike at it? Not that it would make any difference if you called the IP or not, if there were runners on base they are going to move up a base anyway on the ball thrown out of play and its still just a ball on the batter.

I have nothing to disagree with in what you have written.
My question why have a rule in effect that the end result is the same as a pitch being thrown out of play.
As written, the rule makes an intentional walk an illegal act. Surely there was some TWP somewhere along the way that spawned the rule, but I can't figure it out. Especially since backstops come in several sizes.

Mar 2, 2013

No, it would not be obvious. Intentionally and knowingly are two different states of mind. The fact that I intend to cause one result doesn't mean that I intend to cause another result, even if such other result is obvious. I may KNOW that it will likely result from my actions, but it doesn't mean that my desire is to actually cause that secondary result.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
No, all rule sets with the exception of FED require both feet to be in contact with the pitching plate and on or within the 24" width of the pitching plate. FED does allow the stride foot to start back, or step back prior to the hands being brought together, but both feet must still be within the 24" width of the pitching plate.

I didn't realize this (see bold). Thought this wasn't required until college. So all ages (10U, 12U, etc.) + HS all need to have both feet in contact with the pitching plate for USSSA, ASA + Pony? Also...I think I asked this once some time ago, but what does FED stand for?

Thanks,

T

May 7, 2008
Tucson
TJ - yes

FED means Federation. It means school ball. Middle school and HS allow a step back off the rubber. Oh, and so does Little League (LL).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30