Not pitching from the rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
no, all rule sets with the exception of fed require both feet to be in contact with the pitching plate and on or within the 24" width of the pitching plate. Fed does allow the stride foot to start back, or step back prior to the hands being brought together, but both feet must still be within the 24" width of the pitching plate.

this^^^^^^

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Now that’s interesting, and thanx for the explanation. It allowed me to find the appropriate rule in the ASA Umpire’s rules edition.

That brings up the question, why? Was there some study that determined allowing the pitcher to request a new ball was taking too much time or causing some other problem? I honestly never noticed that it was something that happened so often it became a problem. Ya learn something new every day! I guess I’ll watch more closely now. ;)

Because it becomes an unnecessary, no-win game. What happens when you run out of balls because the pitcher doesn't like this one or that? And what if the pitcher doesn't like the last ball you put into the game? This is also a routine complaint in the SP game from the offensive side, constant whine that this ball sucks or that ball is mush, yada, yada, yada.

It is one of those things that players/coaches use as a diversion or means to slow the tempo of a game or a head game. And if you are going to give the pitcher a choice of ball, you going to change out a ball every time the offense doesn't like the condition of the ball? Most, and I do mean MOST softball games do not have an unlimited source of game ball.

Speaking ASA, each pitcher (FP) is often given a new ball with which to warm up. Not only does this give the pitcher a feel for the balls they will be throwing, but "rough" it up a little bit. Rule is specific, that if a new ball is available at the bottom half of the first inning, that ball is put into play. That allows for both teams the opportunity to hit a new ball, when possible.

When a ball goes out of play, it is replaced by the umpire. If the ball becomes damaged it is replaced by the umpire. If at the top of each half inning the pitcher wants a different ball, the umpire should provide another ball AFTER the pitcher gives up the ball in her hands. In all cases, the ball selection is, or at least should be random out of his/her ball bag. The ball they receive is the ball that is in the game. Umpire should inspect the ball when requested or believe there is a reason it has become damaged.

If an umpire is wearing multiple ball bags, the ball usually comes out of the bag on the side of the umpire's throwing hand. This is why you will see umpires "transferring" balls from one side to the other, often after throwing a new ball into the game or when been presented with a replenishment.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Yet much of this seems to go out the window when the playing conditions are wet and you typically see the pitcher, coaches and ump all cooperating on quickly producing a towel dried ball. Curious, for the guys that have umped, do you still try to keep a method to when wet balls get exchanged or do you just do go along with the circumstances as best as possible?

Mar 2, 2013
If a pitcher asks for a new ball and isn't being unreasonable, give her the new ball. For God's sake, don't you think the pitcher is more likely to throw strikes with a ball she likes? When you told her, "no," did you bother to inspect the ball or even ask why? I doubt it. You probably just said, "no," because a RULES SUPPLEMENT (not even a rule) sets up guidelines for ball rotation.

The idea behind it is to avoid putting in a brand new ball in the sixth inning and to avoid a pitcher asking for a new ball every other pitcher to delay the game.

If a pitcher asks for a new ball, I tell her to throw it in, I give the catcher a new one, I inspect the previous one, rub it up and throw it back into my ball bag if it is okay.

It is likewise as ridiculous to have a ball just roll passed a dead ball line, only to have a player pick it up and throw it back in and then rotate that ball out. How about if they catch the ball, but happen to be out of the field of play; are you changing the ball there to?

Of all things to get into an argument over, ball rotation isn't going to be one of them.

Take a read of Oswald Tower's philosophy on officiating and don't be an OOJ (over-officious jerk). Ron Jeffers actually just wrote an article about being an OOJ. Take a read October 2013: In My Opinion | CincySoftball.com

Jun 22, 2008
If a pitcher asks for a new ball and isn't being unreasonable, give her the new ball. For God's sake, don't you think the pitcher is more likely to throw strikes with a ball she likes? When you told her, "no," did you bother to inspect the ball or even ask why? I doubt it. You probably just said, "no," because a RULES SUPPLEMENT (not even a rule) sets up guidelines for ball rotation.

First off, if you had really read my posting the game I was working was a high school game and under FED it is specifically covered in the rule book under 6-5-1&2. Second, yes I had inspected the ball she had in her hand because I had just thrown it out to her. She wanted the ball that had just been hit out of play down the left field line.

As for ASA, yes it may be a rule supplement but I can assure you at any national or championship event the umpires are instructed to follow strict ball rotation guidlines. So you are telling me because YOU want the pitcher to throw strikes you are going to give her the ball she wants and ignore rules or instructions from your UIC? And what do you do when the opposing coach comes out and protests you allowing the pitcher to have the ball she wants?

Jun 22, 2008
Yet much of this seems to go out the window when the playing conditions are wet and you typically see the pitcher, coaches and ump all cooperating on quickly producing a towel dried ball. Curious, for the guys that have umped, do you still try to keep a method to when wet balls get exchanged or do you just do go along with the circumstances as best as possible?

A wet ball is unplayable and I will do what I can to get a dry ball to the pitcher.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Take a read of Oswald Tower's philosophy on officiating and don't be an OOJ (over-officious jerk). Ron Jeffers actually just wrote an article about being an OOJ. Take a read October 2013: In My Opinion | CincySoftball.com

I would love to know which rule set was being used that forbade the wearing of jewelry.

But the point is, there is a given rotation and I have been in games where the teams play head games and THEY make it an issue.

Would you not agree that the umpire is there to insure a level playing field? Do you think the ball rotation was developed simply because someone said, "hey, lets make umpires the prick on the field and piss the pitchers off with a rule they don't like"?

Much of the game of softball has been restricted by what seems to be relatively inane rules, but they got there for a reason, most like a reason that developed during a contest, not in somebody's dreams. You know the biggest problem with warning pitchers about throwing at batters? Only one gets punished and often not the one that caused the issue and, at times, it was not intentional, but the umpire wants to regain control of the game. Well, IMO, the best way to avoid that is to not lose control of the game to begin.

Being a nice guy is fine, right up until the time you have to stop being a nice guy and that seems to occur when one team feels slighted and now the umpire is the bad guy for both teams.

Yes, you apply common sense to certain situations. Sure, allow the ball that is just across the DBL to come back if immediately retrieved. But if it was obvious the defense was intentionally trying to lose that ball, you replace it because that is what is supposed to happen.

Mar 2, 2013
But the point is, there is a given rotation and I have been in games where the teams play head games and THEY make it an issue.

Would you not agree that the umpire is there to insure a level playing field? Do you think the ball rotation was developed simply because someone said, "hey, lets make umpires the prick on the field and piss the pitchers off with a rule they don't like"?

Being a nice guy is fine, right up until the time you have to stop being a nice guy and that seems to occur when one team feels slighted and now the umpire is the bad guy for both teams.

Yes, you apply common sense to certain situations. Sure, allow the ball that is just across the DBL to come back if immediately retrieved. But if it was obvious the defense was intentionally trying to lose that ball, you replace it because that is what is supposed to happen.

It has nothing to do with "being a nice guy." It has to deal with applying common sense to a game situation.

A coach cannot protest a rule that an UMPIRE violates, if you want to use that term; so, there is nothing to protest.

So, if a pitcher wants a new ball, don't give it to her. But if it goes out of play and comes back quickly, use that same ball (even though it violates the rule - rut roh, better hope they don't protest!!!) But if the defense INTENTIONALLY tries to get rid of the ball, then replace it?

No one there is trouble applying common sense. Absolutely ridiculous.

After umpiring 3500 + softball games at all levels and observing just as many, the only time I've ever seen an issue is when an over-officious jerk working the plate won't switch out a ball or even ask why. Excuse me, but I won't get into a pissing contest over ball rotation. It's about as stupid a thing to argue over as it gets.

Mar 13, 2010
Perhaps you can teach me something here. I found the following rule for baseball in OBR and for softball in the NCAA rules, and they seem to be very similar in that they say an umpire shall put an alternate ball into play when a pitcher requests it. What rule set were you playing under that allowed you to abrogate that rule?

NCAASB - 15.6 Pregame Responsibilities
Before the start of each game (even of successive games or a doubleheader), the umpires shall:
15.6.4 Have balls available to replenish the supply of game balls as needed. Such balls shall be put in play when:

15.6.4.3 The pitcher requests a different ball.
Note: The game should not be delayed to retrieve a particular ball that may have been fouled away from the playing area.

The actual number of balls in NCAASB that need to be provided by the host team is 12 for each game of the doubleheader. Two new and 10 that meet the rule specs regarding balls and "are of suitable quality for play" as determined by the plate umpire (15.6.3).
With two ball bags and a dozen balls at your disposal, it definitely helps in keeping the pace of play moving along for both games of the doubleheader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12