Not having Pitchers is no Fun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Quincy, you really need to get out of that program and get your DD into a better situation. ( after this season's commitments of coarse )

Post " player looking for team " on eteamz. Place and add here on the forum. With all our members and guests, somebody knows somebody that knows somebody that could help you find the right fit for DD and yourself.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know, DW doesn’t. There are other opportunities in the area that DD can take advantage of. I will talk to the HC, also the commissioner of the League, at the end of the season.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
That only leaves 2 or at the most 3 innings for the other players. If HC says we have 5 other pitchers the math does not add up to me.

The only 2 games we have been winning after the 1st inning was when we were winning after the 3rd inning with DD pitching the 1st 3 innings. We were losing after the 4th in both these games.

HC has the same thinking as you, just does not seem fair to me.

Just maybe the other 5 "pitchers" might realize that they have to earn their mound time and actually practice to get better so that they have a shot at those 2 available innings?

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would HIGHLY recommend you give the girls who are practicing the most more innings. Pretty soon the other girls will realize they need to practice more if they want to pitch or give up pitching....

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I would HIGHLY recommend you give the girls who are practicing the most more innings. Pretty soon the other girls will realize they need to practice more if they want to pitch or give up pitching....

That is pretty much how we handled our rec season this year which just ended yesterday. We had 6 girls who originally said they were "pitchers". 1 left the team for her old rec league so she wouldn't have competition for circle time. 2 never practiced and didn't get circle time after our early season scrimage games where they couldn't find the plate. The other 3 all practiced. We had a clear #1 who would throw 3 IP per game for us (our league limit is 4 IP per game which she threw in playoffs) and the other 2 (who were about the same) alternated games pitching the other 3 IP per game.

We weren't a very good team but the girls had fun and our last 3 games were the 3 best played all season so they clearly got better.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Rec is a joke. We don't have anyone who really wants to pitch. Too many teams, too few pitchers. So, we are #1 in runs scored, and #1 in runs allowed. Count on 15-20 base on balls per game. Sucks to get 15+ hits per game and lose to teams the get 2.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
:). Feel like we are getting there, not the other Team's fault.

Oh our last game there were plenty of pitches on the edges that the other team could have hit. Plus umpires could relax the zone, that game both the other coach and I told blue that we would like a zone to get the girls swinging. It is a waste of everyone's time to have a walkathon.
Screwball, we play both tb and rec at same time, so days off of rec are spent practicing or playing with tb team, so there is pretty much no rec practice in mid season. Girls have to pitch, that don't want to, just because they are basically athletes.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Q: Are you positive they are not practicing pitching at all?

Fair question and no I do not know. I would be willing to place a bet on it giving odds.

DD became a pitcher because she was the best fielder on the Team. I owe that HC a favor, maybe I will try to get his DD involved in figure skating during the offseason.

Jul 26, 2010
Don't give up on rec. Without it the sport would not be where it is today, and without it the sport would fall apart.

If you practice 2 days a week, have your pitchers practice nothing but pitching on those days. It's probably the only time they'll actually practice, so it might as well be on your time.

Pitching is the biggest problem in rec ball, and leagues are very slow to implement any thing to make it better. The key here is to train coaches how to teach pitching, and to have REGULAR pitching clinics for the entire league, not just one or two at the start of the season. Attendance to the clinics is mandatory, or they don't pitch. If one team has no eligible pitchers, the other team gets to pitch to themselves. Sorts out lack of attendance pretty fast.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez