Not having Pitchers is no Fun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not having pitching makes for a long season not very fun season. Shouldn’t blame the pitchers too much, we cannot hit or field either. After 7 games we have given up the most and scored the least amount of runs in a 12 Team League. Oh well.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As far as I can tell DD is the only pitcher that practices. Supposedly we have 6 pitchers but the other 5 do not practice so they walk everyone. If a fielder makes an error, they lose focus. Hopefully some seasoning will take care of that part. It is hard on the pitcher when they need to get 4 or 5 outs every inning.

An individual pitcher is only allowed to pitch 4 innings, I have not allowed HC to pitch DD 4 innings yet because I want to try and get someone else going.

We have some huge holes in the lineup. We are not striking out a lot just not hitting the ball hard. This part might come around for us as the season progresses. I think we are starting to see the other Team’s 2nd tier pitchers, I do not think we have faced the best the League has to offer.

Feb 3, 2011
As far as I can tell DD is the only pitcher that practices. Supposedly we have 6 pitchers but the other 5 do not practice so they walk everyone. If a fielder makes an error, they lose focus. Hopefully some seasoning will take care of that part. It is hard on the pitcher when they need to get 4 or 5 outs every inning.

An individual pitcher is only allowed to pitch 4 innings, I have not allowed HC to pitch DD 4 innings yet because I want to try and get someone else going.

We have some huge holes in the lineup. We are not striking out a lot just not hitting the ball hard. This part might come around for us as the season progresses. I think we are starting to see the other Team’s 2nd tier pitchers, I do not think we have faced the best the League has to offer.
Since she's the only pitcher on the team, why not have her pitch the maximum while the others are learning?

I know it's just rec, but there's nothing wrong with putting your team in position to be competitive at least some of the time. Competitiveness can be balanced with player development.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That only leaves 2 or at the most 3 innings for the other players. If HC says we have 5 other pitchers the math does not add up to me.

The only 2 games we have been winning after the 1st inning was when we were winning after the 3rd inning with DD pitching the 1st 3 innings. We were losing after the 4th in both these games.

HC has the same thinking as you, just does not seem fair to me.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Your main concern has to be for your DD. If it would help her to pitch more innings, let her do it. Set a goal that is beyond this season and just let her throw.

I commend you for working with your daughter.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Been there. I inherited a 12u local travel team once that had only two pitchers, neither of whom could get the ball over the plate. It's extremely frustrating to watch as a coach, it's frustrating for the players in the field, and it's demoralizing for the pitchers as well.

You seem to have more than one coach with the team. Have you considered trying a separate pitcher/catcher practice? If you don't have the time, space, or commitment from the girls to hold more than one practice a week, you could have one coach take the bulk of the team and another run a pitcher/catcher practice. If you can have more than one practice a week, you can do them separately.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It is a tough line. Girls want to win but they want to play also. Your hitting can be suffering from too many girls getting too few ABs - not much you can do about that with a roster of 15 that bats the whole lineup. That can also affect fielding where so many girls need to sit each inning - tough to get a defensive rythm.

One thing that might motivate other pitchers to practice is seeing your DD in the circle more. Make it clear to parents in the stands (you aren't AC right?) that it looks like girls who are practicing at home are getting more cirlce time. Someone might get the message.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sorry, I did not mean to switch this to DD.

Your main concern has to be for your DD. If it would help her to pitch more innings, let her do it. Set a goal that is beyond this season and just let her throw.

She is my #1 concern and I do not think it will help her pitching an extra inning as much as another P getting come circle time. I am just a parent, not HC or AC on the Team. My only input on game day so far is only to allow DD to pitch 3 innings, other than that I cheer a lot.

Have you considered trying a separate pitcher/catcher practice? If you don't have the time, space, or commitment from the girls to hold more than one practice a week, you could have one coach take the bulk of the team and another run a pitcher/catcher practice. If you can have more than one practice a week, you can do them separately.

The Team DD was on last year did this with mixed results. The pitchers chipped in $20 and an instructor came in to help them for an hour. We liked the instructor but we only saw them sporadically 2 or 3 times and they messed DD all up. Nothing against the instructor and would consider DD going to her for an extended period of time, but with how little we saw them they caused more harm than good. For DD anyways. I would hate to suggested it and not show up.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Quincy, let me ask you this; Is it fair to your DD who spends the time practicing, to let the players that don't practice play more innings? Sorry life isn't fair, the message, the life lesson to teach here is if you work hard then you will get compensated. If you spend the time to get better, then you will play. I understand it's Rec, but the lessons should still be the same.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez