not EXACTLY bragging...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
DD got thrown out at first last night..by the Centerfielder :mad:

(only positive I can take from it was that I didn't need to say anything. She was embarrassed enough on her own, and came back to the dugout saying she didn't run hard, and it's the last time that will happen to her)

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I had a girl get thrown out in the same game in consecutive at bats last fall.
1st time up by RF (she hit deep)
2nd time up by CF, hit deep again.
The 2nd time, she was admiring her hit from the batters box!
It was the last game she played for us as her mom pulled her from travel team.
The kicker here is, mom said it was too hard on the nanny to be running her to
tournaments and practice. Mom and dad were wealthy deadbeats............

Oct 19, 2009
That happened to my daughter in her first 10U at bat in the fall of 2008. Just finished summer all star season as an 8U. Talk about a nice "welcome to 10U!". The look on her face when that CF threw her out was priceless. She just looked up and me and all I could say was "uh, you're out". I was coaching first and I'm sure my jaw was hanging. The way she (the CF) came up firing you would have thought she was playing short. It was a heck of a nice play.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Guess what? A lady in 55+ threw me out from CF last summer. She did such a great job, that I certainly wasn't embarrassed. I am not the fastest runner, but I am no hog.

I have to appreciate great plays.

I thought this thread was about girls getting tossed from the game. :)

Dec 28, 2008
Everyday, every situation can be a learning and growing process. Sounds like your DD learned an invaluable lesson that will serve her well in the future. I can see her hustling out bloops/bunts/blunders by the other team and stealing first base as a result. Glad you could tell by her look that you didn't need to say anything, or that could have gone south quickly. ;)

Mar 15, 2010
DD got thrown out at first last night..by the Centerfielder :mad:

(only positive I can take from it was that I didn't need to say anything. She was embarrassed enough on her own, and came back to the dugout saying she didn't run hard, and it's the last time that will happen to her)

Welcome to the club. This fall/winter travel season DD was thrown out by a RF and a CF. Since then she has worked hard on her speed and is no longer as slow as molasses in a Vermont Winter. She has progressed to molasses in a Vermont Spring. A few more weeks of conditioning practice and her goal by the time tourneys start is molasses in a Vermont summer.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Welcome to the club. This fall/winter travel season DD was thrown out by a RF and a CF. Since then she has worked hard on her speed and is no longer as slow as molasses in a Vermont Winter. She has progressed to molasses in a Vermont Spring. A few more weeks of conditioning practice and her goal by the time tourneys start is molasses in a Vermont summer.

Progress is progress !

Jun 6, 2009

I've seen that movie a few times. Sent my DD to a running coach. With years of practice and many dollars spent, we finally got her up to......slow.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I have a story from the other side of it. By the time she was in 14U, my daughter mostly pitched. But I would try to get her (and the other pitchers) field time as well when I could. She was playing CF one day when a batter hit the ball there. My daughter caught it on one hop, then fired to a very surprised first baseman, who did catch the ball and step on first for the out. I asked her about it later, and her answer was basically, "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi