Not a proud parent moment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2010
My biggest reget along those lines was letting my DD play with shoulder pain. Took her to a reknowned sports therapist, who said she had some impingement, and we could work it out. She played, and pitched, with pain for a couple of months.

To make a long story short, she eventually had shoulder surgery for a torn muscle. I wished, and still wish, that I had taken to a doc right away, and I feel guilty for letting her play hurt.

It didn't seem like she was hurt badly, and she, like some of the other posters said, probably didn't always share just how bad it was. Still, I hate that she played hurt, and I feel lucky it wasn't worse than it turned it out to be.

Since then, I tell all of my players that there is no shame in being hurt, and if they are, I want to know right away. I don't take chances with anyone's kid anymore.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My wife is a Physical Therapist. She has a recent patient who a pitcher for a 12u team. Had an injury last fall, treatment for that injury created a range of motion issue, she has been complaining about the pain since November. Dad only brought her back to the doc and then for treatment because it affected her pitching. Told my wife that the girl has played poorly in recent tournaments (indoors) and has to suck it up and play with the pain.

Wife asks the girl if she had to take off school for her appointment and the girl said. Its ok I leave school early on this day every week. Its when I go for my pitching lessons.

Forcing the girl to play with an injury, and taking her out of school for lessons. He probably doesn't realize it, but this should be his not so proud parent moment.

Jun 21, 2010
Forcing the girl to play with an injury, and taking her out of school for lessons. He probably doesn't realize it, but this should be his not so proud parent moment.

It's all about priorities. It goes like this:

1. Softball pitching
2. School
3. Kid's health

Oy.

Jun 18, 2010
Last night we are all excited, first game of my son's baseball season 9U. First year for kid pitch. My son was going to pitch the second half of the game... During warm ups, there were an odd number of boys, so I was playing warm up catch with my son. I threw the ball, for some reason he didn't get his glove up enough and the ball clipped the top of his glove and hit him right in the nose. We have an ER Doctor (parent), on the team. I called him over... broken nose. Wife and I took him to urgent care. Part of his nose was flat (looked terrible). Today he has two black eyes. Mom is at the Ear, Nose & Throat doctor with him right now. I feel so bad.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
One of my best... DD is playing CF in a close game. Batter hits a shot to RC Gap. I see my DD come forward initally then turn as she sees the ball is hit over her head. Sitting on the bucket the Field Ump was blocking my view, I get up jawing to her that her first step is back..ect. and turn my back to the field. My asst coach is yelling then turns to me and says... "Ummm she caught it"... lol That one cost me Dairy Queen later :)

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Before Softball found DD, she showed horses. When she was 4 or 5 she was preparing to go into the arena for an exhibition; She said "Dad, can you get me down?" and when I did she ran over to the bushes and puked in them, heaving for a couple of minutes. Just before the gate opened she asked me to put her back on her horse (She said she felt a lot better). She felt better for the rest of the night so we just chalked it up to nerves - and it is still a family joke to this day, 10 years later.

Mar 15, 2010
In a basketball game 2 years ago DD comes hobbling over to the sideline saying her foot is killing her. I sit her the rest of the game figuring she probably just tweaked it on a jump shot or rebound. Next morning she is complaining she can't even walk on it. I told her to take it easy and it would probably be fine in a day or two. Wife insists I talk her to urgent care. I drive the hour, wait an hour, find out it is a break of the fifth metatarsal. Definitely not one of better parenting moments.

Feb 9, 2009
yep....I made my DD do her 2 sports, and other non-athletic committments when she was "just so tired!" This went on a month....
She had mono....

I have handed in my Mother of the Year Award...

Jan 20, 2010
My 11YO daughter seemed off this past weekend...I thought she was just tired (and allergies have been bugging her) so Sunday I let her have a mountain dew before our morning game. She is still sick and home from School today :(.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma