No windmill for recreation softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
This is from a local rec league near me (9-10 age group).

PITCHING (Note that this is a modified fast-pitch league this spring. Rules have been modified to
encourage accuracy in pitching, more hitting and action in the field.)

No attempt to deceive the batter in any manner shall be allowed; this includes the intentional
delivery of pitches at different speeds or with different arcs by the same pitcher. In the judgment
of the umpire, if an attempt to deceive has been made by a pitcher, one warning will be issued
by the umpire to the pitcher; a second violation will result in the removal of the pitcher from the
pitching position for the remainder of the game.

So, not only do they require no windmill, they require the pitch to be the same speed and same arc on every pitch. The dumbing down of America just got dumber...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
As you have may have seen in other threads I am all for local rules to encourage girls to play and help develop skills and still be a very enjoyable game. This however is just stupid.

Modified rules should be designed to help progress development of skills - not make up a new skill. It can be a hard balance to maintain but it is clear which side of the balance this lies on.

BTW, Girl's slowpitch has died completely in South Florida. There was one league still around a couple of years ago but they didn't have enough players and as far as I am aware it is completely gone now.

Oct 2, 2012
In our town rec league and and travel are 2 different species. Wouldn't surpise me if a rule like this popped up. I guess if everyone agrees that the league is what it is--for fun and recreation and not to advance skill level, I guess this rule is OK.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Finding pitchers for a rec league is probably the most difficult thing to do, but getting rid of the "windmill" is basically like playing slow pitch without the 6' arc requirement. The windmill is NOT a requirement, so if the pitchers want to throw without it, fine, but they will need to learn how if they want to play TB.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
more hitting

No attempt to deceive the batter in any manner shall be allowed; this includes the intentional
delivery of pitches at different speeds

Changeups should be made Illegal, DD would like that very much.

Edit:

Bad changeups are fine, I like those. It is the good changeups that should be illegal.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2012
Well this is stupid. If you don't want them pitching like they are supposed to then just extend coach pitch until whatever age you decide they are big enough girls to handle real pithcing, 10, 11, 18 whatever.

It would be better than screwing with some young pitcher by making them learn pitching habits that will not be used if she ever tries to play in high school or TB.

Around here it is coach pitch at 8u and kids start pitching at 10u (ages 9 and 10) and they do the normal windmill fastpitch motion.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had 2 sisters, just this weekend that were messing around with the Sling Shot pitch. The speed varied little from the Windmill. In fact, their mother liked the pitch.

So, I bet that some girls will be throwing harder than the league realizes.

Also, I wouldn't want my DD standing out there, attempting to lob the ball down the middle. That would be very dangerous, on a come backer.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I'm on the fence with these rules, but leaning to one side. On one side I can see modifying the rules to get more players interested. On the other side, I'm telling myself Teach them the right way to begin with. Maybe have run rules per inning to keep the game going, but to have a rule about changing speeds, or different arcs..... Is mind blowing.

I have seen it many times where a player stays at the Rec level then goes out for the HS Team and is suprised when she doesn't make Varsity and sometimes JV and ends up on JV2. As far as I can remember (at least 7 years), the HS Varsity Team has had only 1 player that was a pure Rec player, all the rest played TB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad