No windmill for recreation softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Our local softball leadership is considering banning windmill pitching for town recreation softball. Their idea is to encourage more girls to play. Other towns in our area have gone to non-windmill recreation leagues.

What do you think? Is this a good idea or not?

May 18, 2009
I hate the idea. Where I see problems isn't lack of kids coming in. It's lack of keeping them coming. 8U and 10U are usually loaded with kids but the elite kids have other teams to go to in travel ball. Sometimes those teams are sponsered by the local rec league. The kids that are good but not good enough to make a travel ball team are the ones that get left out. Their interest wanders and they find something else to do while the elite players keep playing.

Our local softball leadership is considering banning windmill pitching for town recreation softball. Their idea is to encourage more girls to play. Other towns in our area have gone to non-windmill recreation leagues.

What do you think? Is this a good idea or not?

This is Fascist !!!! tell your board of directors to grow a pair... I had one of the smallest/ meekest kids for her age in 12U.... hell shes in 8th grade now and ill bet she still isn't 4 feet tall and might weigh 80 pounds and she was a good player. I believe the ones that come out to play are the only ones that will your not going to get any more kids just by pitching underhand....

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am confused. How is the P supposed to throw the ball, Slingshot?

I am OK with coach pitch but if you put a player in the circle let her try to be the best she can be within the rules.

Edit:

In DD’s league slow-pitch has a lot more players. I do not think DD has any expectations of a softball scholarship she just enjoys playing. If the flyer on the wall was looking for slow pitch players she would be playing slow pitch and we would be driving nicer cars.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
There is a private stationary league close to me... they call themselves modified fastpitch... but its a joke. The pitchers do a non windmill slingshot pitch. They have a hard time keeping girls once they get around 12-13. The kids/parents realize that if they're going to try out for high school, they need to make some changes quick

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
So, they are playing slow pitch?

It could be anything except windmill. Which is likely going to be pretty slow. I think the travel players will leave. Other towns close by say the are keeping registration up with non windmill.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So, they are playing slow pitch?

Let's start by stating, a windmill delivery is NOT illegal for SP.

No, it is Modified Pitch ball and is not uncommon in many areas. Much of everything in the FP pitching rules are the same with the main part of the differences being the pitcher's posture and delivery methods. The game is more popular with the men and there are actually two versions.

It is played quite a pit in the upper Midwest, Southeast and a few pockets in the Northeast. It is moving more toward recreational and the championship play has dwindled over the past couple of years. From discussions I've had with people involved in the game, a lot of issues is like a mental mix between Men's FP & SP. Many don't want rules while others will not play because rules are not enforced. It is a problem and the game will go away, just as men's FP is now on a national level.

BTW, all the pitching rules are included in Rule 6 of your ASA rule book.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Rec league in our town did this to my dd and only my dd. Get out fast. Before you know it, your dd will be taking steps backward that will inhibit her growth as a player. JMHO!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi