No more "suicides"...welcome "ladders"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I changed the term when we lost two teenagers to suicide. (And I still struggle with suicide bunt because it’s so ingrained)

Sorry that avoiding a word that makes my team cry is too ‘snowflake’ for you.

Jun 12, 2015
I changed the term when we lost two teenagers to suicide. (And I still struggle with suicide bunt because it’s so ingrained)

Sorry that avoiding a word that makes my team cry is too ‘snowflake’ for you.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
That was actually a good example JD, and I will agree with you. But my post was really about the PC police in general in this country. Do
I see where "suicide" sprints could bring up bad feelings for certain folks, yes, and I have no problem if a kid came up and said something or a parent said something
to a coach and wanted him to use another term. I haven't done them in 15 years and I don't think I have even heard the term since then. But
Im also not going think someone is a bad person because he/she is used to using that term and still does. In your example, if they still used the term after being asked,
I would agree...terrible decision on their part.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That was actually a good example JD, and I will agree with you. But my post was really about the PC police in general in this country. Do
I see where "suicide" sprints could bring up bad feelings for certain folks, yes, and I have no problem if a kid came up and said something or a parent said something
to a coach and wanted him to use another term. I haven't done them in 15 years and I don't think I have even heard the term since then. But
Im also not going think someone is a bad person because he/she is used to using that term and still does. In your example, if they still used the term after being asked,
I would agree...terrible decision on their part.

I'm with you here. Would never call someone a bad person just because they didn't think about how the term could affect others ahead of time. We all should be more conscientious, but also it's really easy to just forget, especially when we're using common phrases/terms.

In general, I encourage everybody to consider exactly why someone might ask to stop using a term. Sometimes it may just be one lunatic who takes everything too seriously. Other times, there are some really good reasons, and we might all agree to work to make the change. And of course we still might slip and use the term because breaking habits is hard.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
We affectionately called those touchdowns in my backyard. Guys loved running those as competition during basketball season. In grade school hoops, it wasn't uncommon to run those multiple times every day in practice in sets of 10 to 20. As far as I can remember, game conditioning was rarely an issue. In retrospect, our dribbling skills could have used some help.

Later on in life, I was informed that priest served some time in prison. :D

Chris

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm certainly not trying to be offensive. As a 15 year ARMY vet, I've seen more than my share of suicide, depression, and stuff I won't get into. I call the drill a suicide because that's what it's always been called... The name of the drill is irrelevant to me. It's the fact that our society has become Soo easily offended. My name is James, and just because someone,somewhere was also named James did something awful to you or someone you love doesn't give you the right to ask me to change my name...
How about we teach our kids how to deal with the realities of life and death rather than skirting around reality, by being offended or changing the name of stuff

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles