NFHS uniforms question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2016
So we have a rag-tag team with 7 jerseys from last year, all L or XL with a solid color and a modest white "bolt" on the sides. We have 15 girls this year so I ordered 10 jerseys in S and M, all solid color with no bolt. Are we ok within the rules since they're the same color and even the same sleeve type, but just that the old unis have a white "bolt" on the sides? I'm going to have them numbered the same size and color, and with the team name in the front just like the old jerseys.

Jun 22, 2008
By rule, the uniforms must all be the same color and style. You may get by with it, you may run into an umpire that is a stickler for the rules and wont allow it, which is obviously going to be a forfeit if you cant produce enough identical uniforms to field a team.

I would highly suggest you clear it with your state athletic association before you waste money buying uniforms that dont match your old ones.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I would highly suggest you clear it with your state athletic association before you waste money buying uniforms that dont match your old ones.

^^^ This. NFHS rules are basically recommendations that carry no weight other than what your local HS association adopts. If this is a financial situation that cannot reasonably be resolved, it is possible that an allowance may be made by the local assn. If you do get a ruling that may not line up with the rule book, make sure it is in writing and make plenty of copies. Send one to the local umpire association and carry twice as many copies as you have games. Have one at each game for the umpire and one for the opposing coach. Do not assume it will just generally be accepted.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This falls into the if you are losing no one will care, once you start winning protest.

It does need to be resolved in the pre game conference, I would be suprirsed if anyone cared.

(Rethinking this, it should be resolved before the players even show up for the game. Drop the opposing HC an Email a few days before the game or before the season.)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2016
I'm thinking no one will care. We had a basketball game where a couple girls on the opposing away team were wearing their white home uniforms and nobody brought it to our attention and I didn't know until the girls subbed in. Our softball team last year routinely lost 15-0 or worse. I took the position on short notice and I'm lucky if I get them a win or two this year...I think it's possible by the end of the season, but yeah, I'm thinking nobody will care about our mismatched uniforms

Jun 22, 2008
I'm thinking no one will care. We had a basketball game where a couple girls on the opposing away team were wearing their white home uniforms and nobody brought it to our attention and I didn't know until the girls subbed in. Our softball team last year routinely lost 15-0 or worse. I took the position on short notice and I'm lucky if I get them a win or two this year...I think it's possible by the end of the season, but yeah, I'm thinking nobody will care about our mismatched uniforms

As I said, before you spend money that may possibly just end up being a waste you should contact your state athletic association. No, no one may care but if you do get an umpire that is a stickler for the rules you cannot play with miss matched uniforms. If your state association gives their approval, as MTR indicated, get it in writing and keep copies with you.

Feb 25, 2016
As I said, before you spend money that may possibly just end up being a waste you should contact your state athletic association. No, no one may care but if you do get an umpire that is a stickler for the rules you cannot play with miss matched uniforms. If your state association gives their approval, as MTR indicated, get it in writing and keep copies with you.

I already ordered the uniforms, and we have a game in a week so it's urgent to have something to play in. Last year they started the season in t-shirts. If it's going to be a problem I'll just order more of the new uniforms to replace the old ones.

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
As an umpire in TX, I play the game, then if the other team brings it up I'll (maybe) fill out a UIL Incident Report after the game. I'm certainly not going to not play the game or anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06