New hitting theory

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
My attention was turned here recently after I was contacted through HSBBWeb. My post from another forum was posted previously in this thread. The hitter in the video is learning something new. The instructor is asking him to perform something very specific to get a specific feel. It was filmed and posted publicly to illustrate that point alone. He will not try to hit in a game doing this. That would be be ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2009
I find it hard to believe you think this is anything other than a swing to promote a feeling.

First rule of instruction: If you're not practicing a good swing, you're practicing a bad swing.

IOW, there's no such thing as, "Just a harmless drill."

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
First rule of instruction: If you're not practicing a good swing, you're practicing a bad swing.

IOW, there's no such thing as, "Just a harmless drill."

He is teaching a good swing. He is teaching it in progressions.

Have you tried this drill? Do you understand what is supposed to be felt?

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Well with the video to look at I suppose everyone can decide for themselves.

Mark, what do you mean? That you can decide if he is teaching in progressions or if he is teaching a good swing? If you can't feel the end result of what he is teaching , it won't make sense to you.

Oct 28, 2009
Also, why are your GIFs so choppy? Either this softball player swings much, much faster than Tulowitzki, the camera is bad, or you are hiding something.

My Gifs are better than your GIFs? I see this stuff in the other forums. I hope it isn't going to start here. I have benefitted greatly from the sharing of knowledge within this forum. When discussions break down to "blasts" against posters, as they are allowed to do in the other forums, there is a chill on the sharing. This forum has an environment that fosters useful exchanges.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I have been on the HI site. The drills being down dont look anything like this swing in my opinion.

Straightleg

I know you've been there. =)

What is the purpose of drills? I've seen a lot of drills that create movements that would NEVER even come close to happening in a game. And movements that never should happen in a game. I think this swing is an excellent representation of what is taught at HI. How do you think it differs from the drills? Don't forget to factor in if thrust is happening, if the top hand/forearm is involved, and if there is tilt. And what causes tilt.

Combine the look and the feel.... you need to feel what you see. Words need to become feelings. You need to get up and swing! (And don't forget to look at the barrel......)

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
You see but don't feel. Your business strategy is good, I'll give you that. Hard stuff up shouldn't be swung at. If it is, it should be swung at as follows.... which is very much in line with what "he" teaches. (Sorry this clip is baseball - don't have much in my softball video library yet. I imagine this swing on a rise would work, no?)

Tulowitzki.gif

Would you consider this swing to be low level, daddy pitch kind of material?

This is a high level swing. Surely everyone can see the difference between what this hitter does and what Bush does. The key to the entire high level swing is how the back elbow gets lowered without the hands dropping or the hands moving towards the pitcher.

This hitter has a hand pivot point. Bush does not. Clear as day. Two totally different swings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06