New here looking for help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ok. The negative move accompanied by resistance pulls the front shoulder down and in as well as start the torso forward. When this move has been mastered a lot of ‘band aids’ will be peeled away to reveal that there weren’t any ‘boo boos’ to begin with.

Forgive me, I am not as eloquent as you.

Thank you. To give you some feedback ... when teaching the 'negative move' and 'FbC' this week I noticed that virtually every hitter improved in terms of arriving at a better leveraged swing launch orientation.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Lateral tilt happens in every swing.. Forcing lateral tilt will force a vertical barrel path...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My dd is 11 and has a lot of batting lessons and her form seems good. She has a lot of hard hits mostly grounder and low line drives. The problem a lot of time is she swings hard with power but it doesn't transfer to ball. Lots of hits seem weak with a lot of backspin. Not sure why she swings harder than the ball goes

I will repeat what others have said...

It's a LOT easier to give advice when we can see what's happening with her swing rather than just being told about the result. Video is a powerful tool for this stuff.

That said, the mention of backspin and high hands leads me to believe that she has a downward barrel path through contact. Instruction to keep the back shoulder up is likely a contributor to the issues, but there could very well be other factors that are also contributing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Lateral tilt happens in every swing.. Forcing lateral tilt will force a vertical barrel path...

Many hitters are averse to becoming laterally tilted. They teach themselves to minimize lateral tilt. Some coaches/parents further acerbate the issue by encouraging a level shoulder mindset.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thank you. To give you some feedback ... when teaching the 'negative move' and 'FbC' this week I noticed that virtually every hitter improved in terms of arriving at a better leveraged swing launch orientation.

Funny you mention FBC. Some hitters naturally will acquire it through feel. Other will need to be told. It is important to say the least.

Feb 16, 2019
I will repeat what others have said...

It's a LOT easier to give advice when we can see what's happening with her swing rather than just being told about the result. Video is a powerful tool for this stuff.

That said, the mention of backspin and high hands leads me to believe that she has a downward barrel path through contact. Instruction to keep the back shoulder up is likely a contributor to the issues, but there could very well be other factors that are also contributing.

What is the fix for that? Let her drop shoulder down a bit or just say to stay behind ball with upper body

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What is the fix for that? Let her drop shoulder down a bit or just say to stay behind ball with upper body

I tell my hitters point blank ... one of the fastest ways to ruin a hitter's swing is to push them to swing with level shoulders. I tell them that if they insist on swinging with level shoulders then there is little that I can do to help them. I am not mean about it ... ... ... I suggest that they find a different instructor and come back to me once they realize that a level shoulder mentality doesn't work.

Jun 8, 2016
I tell them that if they insist on swinging with level shoulders then there is little that I can do to help them.
What exactly do you mean by insist. They give pushback on your instruction or they are not able to do what you ask of them..one of them is grounds
for termination the other is the instructor's responsibility (e.g. you failed as you told me..;) )

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What exactly do you mean by insist. They give pushback on your instruction or they are not able to do what you ask of them..one of them is grounds
for termination the other is the instructor's responsibility (e.g. you failed as you told me..;) )

I'll give you an example.

For several weeks a mother would tell me that she thought her daughter suffered from short-term memory loss. She said her daughter would hit well at the hitting lesson, and for two days after the hitting lesson she would hit well, and then after three days her daughter wouldn't be able to hit well again.

Then during a lesson I heard the mother utter some instruction from across the cage. The instruction was on the rear shoulder dropping. I stopped the lesson right there and had the mother come join us. It turned out that the short-term memory loss was actually parental coaching ... the mother was coaching "level shoulders". I explained to the mother that virtually everything I taught would be 'erased' if the rear shoulder was restricted from lowering. I explained the swing to the mother and politely told the mother that she was welcome to continue instructing a level shoulder swing, but that our time together was a waste of everyone's time ... a waste of my time, a waste of the mother's time, and a waste of the hitter's time. I suggested that they find another instructor and return when they realized that the level shoulder mentality wouldn't work.

They returned three weeks later and the problem with short-term muscle memory was no longer an issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish