New college attitude

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
On Thursday I'll usually wonder up to City Hall and shoot the breeze, best gossip in town. So softball being our primary sport ( besides football of coarse ) that topic is never far away. We have had a bunch of signings this year, all sizes of schools.

Several of the girls signed to CC's and NAIA's that I thought would have gone to D2 type schools. So I asked what was up. Turns out they did have better/larger offers but they chose to stay close to the nest and get the education.

One only has her mother in her life, and wanted to stay close to her. ( understandable )

One has a family business and wants to learn the trade while getting a degree to expand the business.

One is going to the same college as her boyfriend. ( yuk )

One struggles academic wise and felt a smaller school's schedule would be a better fit.

One is going because her best friend got a scholarship to same school, same year.

We do have 2 to sign D1 in April? If that's the correct time frame? That's the word on the street anyway.

We hear and push so much on D1 this D2 that, but as I see more individual cases I realize the softball side of recruiting is much different than BB. It's truly about an education and what best fits you as oppose to playing the hardest level and hoping to catch a MLB career.

The more DD hears of the harsh schedules and study requirements of D1/D2 she sure is asking questions about the smaller schools in the state. I try not to pursuade one way or the other, as my college days are over and it's her life. I do tell her I will be proud where ever she goes, as long as I get free season tickets right behind home plate.

As most I dreamed of her playing big time college ball, now that the time is approaching fast I'm thinking more I'd sure like my daughter to be closer to home. Is that selfish? Is that normal? Am I thinking too much?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
GOINGDEEP, my DD is a junior this year and has been playing for a very good 18Gold program for 1 year. Reading your post is quite a bit like reading my personal journal (if I kept one).

Last summer there were 9 seniors on her team with a couple that were offered some level of DI scholorship money, none took it. 2 went to local DII programs, 2 went to an NAIA schools, 3 went to local CC's and 2 joined the workforce.

5 years ago my DD's dream was to play for a big DI program. Over the years she isn't as stuck on DI; she is considering a DII that is about 5 hours from home, an NAIA school that is about 3 hours away, a DII school that is very close to home, a DIII school across the country and a mid level DI that is across the country. She tells us that she won't make a decision on a school until this summer after July when she gets a chance to see if anyone else is interested. She isn't concerned about the harsh schedules, but concerned more about what a school has to offer, what the weather is like at each school and the number of students enrolled at each school.

We have always supported her softball decisions as long as they make financial sense to us and as long as we didn't feel like she was going to be physically or mentally hurt. Yeah, it would be cool to see her play on TV for a big DI school but that has never been the top goal, it has always been for her to be able to play softball for 4 more years while earning aa higher education.

I don't think you are being selfish wanting her to be close to home (as long as you aren't forcing her to stay close) and yes, it is normal and yes you are thinking too much :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
As most I dreamed of her playing big time college ball, now that the time is approaching fast I'm thinking more I'd sure like my daughter to be closer to home. Is that selfish? Is that normal? Am I thinking too much?

One day my DD will move on and move out just like every kid does. Hoping for some more opportunities to be closely involved and having them nearby is absolutely normal especially when you are closely involved today in what they do. As long as the final decision is her decision and not yours that is more than OK. Sounds like that is what you are doing anyway.

Almost every college athlete I run into who transfers normally did it to be closer to home (exceptions always seem to be on the boys side with football and basketball players). You never know.

On the opposite side of this, I know a player locally who is playing close to home ONLY because her family wants her to and they heavily pressured her into staying in state. She had a better offer at a better school who have a better program in the area she wants to work in after she graduates which she really wanted to accept. That is when it is wrong.

I moved 11,200 miles away from home for college (according to a website that calculates these things). Whatever she chooses at least it won't be that far. My mother and sister were only able to come and see me once during college (for senior night).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877