nervous in the box?!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
We have looked into the evoshield before. Just didnt know how bulky or cumbersome it might be. Can you see it under the jersey?
How does it do with heat? (I mean have your DD's complained that wearing it makes them too hot?)
Thanks

You would never know my daughter had it own under her jersey. It is not bulky at all and it molds to your daughter's shape. It's just something they have to get used to. My daughter never complained about wearing one and will not play in a game without it. She has never complained that the evoshield made her hotter either. We had to buy her a bigger shirt as she went through a growth spert, but that was the only complaint. New shirt...issue solved.

Mar 31, 2014
My DD now wears her bruises as a badge of pride, she plays A class 14U and leads the team in HBP. She has been hit ten times this season, but she also knows how to turn and take the impact. She stands right on top of the plate so she pretty much had to learn this skill.

Sep 3, 2009
Need some help/ideas for my DD. We hit 300 plus balls a week plus lessons one day a week. Everything from soft toss front toss tee work etc. So I have been struggling to understand why my DD struggles so much in games with her a/b. Because when its me or her hitting coach she has confidence out the roof and will smash the ball, but come game time she pulls out or hits everything straight into the ground.

Last week and idk y but she opened up with her hitting instructor and told him she gets scared/nervous in the box( form getting hit with the ball, striking out, messing up).

So after lessons I asked her about it told her to be honest with me she said her biggest fear is getting hit in the ribs, elbow area.
We talked about the confidence issue to I told her whatever she did, hit the ball strike out etc. I was right behind her proud of her for doing trying her best basically telling her I was fine with whatever the outcome. I can help her with that part but not sure if or what I can do about the scared/nervous about being hit part.

She is 10 loves the game practices hard plays with passion wants to learn and get better. I want to help her so if you all have any suggestions for me I would love to hear them.

My DD sometimes goes through this. Last week her hitting coach had a good 2 hr talk with her about her mental mind melt in the box, and how she approaches her AB's.

She needs to have a plan. Watch the pitcher, what does she throw? Fast and overpowering, or avg speed and lots of movement? What does the pitcher do on a pitcher's count, or a hitter's count? Does she jam them up, or tempt them on the outside.

Your kid needs a plan, and the plan will change with the count. Clear mind is HUGE. Tell her to think of Cats or frogs farting... anything to clear all the crap out. Back out of the box, take a few swings and get her plan together.

May not work for your kid, but mine really responded to this. We've incorporated this mental aspect of hitting as part of her lessons now, it has paid off big time.

As far as the fear of getting hit... it's the nature of the beast. She needs to know that her only job is to get on base. Hits are gravy, walks are nice, HBP is just a base. She can't score if she's not on base. It sucks, and it's a fear that has to be overcome. Lord knows my kid is a ball magnet on a grand scale. Took two this past weekend, one grazed her helmet, and the other right at the base of her ribcage. She was showing the ballmarks to her teammates after the game with a smile on her face. It's just something that they have to overcome.

May 28, 2012
I handled it a little different than most, probably would get arrested doing it this way now. I made my DD stand in close while i pitched as hard and inside as I could. Telling her if she backed out I would hit her with the next one.(never did) She stood there in tears but never backed out. Now she never moves at all. She will take it even when you would rather her hit. She says its the quickest way to first base.

Jun 19, 2012
Hey thanks for all the advice. Patience ........ I am a long way from mastering that skill. Lol.

We watched the braves vs angels game this past Monday together I think she took somethings from watching trout pujols and Hamilton bat. As kruk described Hamiltons hitting philosophy my daughter kind of liked it. In 4 pitches be out of the batters box.

We will keep working thats for sure

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
A friend shared this short video with me. It goes with what Absdad said. A positive mental attitude helps tremendously. My DD has watched it a few time before our last two tourneys. I can see a major difference in her approach. Her team won their state tourney this weekend. She moved to the lead off spot and ended up 9 for 11. Ground outs are now doubles in the gap. She told me it helped. I hope it continues helping until we get to Johnson City for Nationals.

Softball Hitting Tips: Batter's Box Routine - Amanda Scarborough - YouTube

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Burlap, here is a picture of my 10 yo DD wearing her Evoshield front/back shirt. You can see the kidney shield. She never complains about the heat or wearing it yet she hates her slider pants.
10478225_255720294622363_5688906883487669458_n.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32