need some input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
For a bit of background. I have 5 kids - a 15 y/o football player, 12 & 7 y/o softball players, 4 y/o baseballer, and a 10 month old.

My youngest DD started softball at the age of 5. The oldest DD then decided she wanted to play as well. We started on a fall league 10U team. She liked it ok. The next year, we found her a team. After starting practices, we realized it was 12U. She could have still played 10U, but she liked the team so we stayed. That fall, we didn't play, but practiced. The team split into 2 - a 12U & 14U. She stayed down. We had a fun team this past spring. The girls had a lot of fun. We won some, we lost some. We played a few tourneys. At the end of the season, the coach eliminated a few players from the team. I think we went into the fall ball season with 6 of our original players. Picked up 3 more and was working well together for practices. We were moving up to 14U, since 2 of our girls had to move up.

1st tourney at 14U, we got killed! We couldn't get a runner on base, nothing. It was pretty bad. But we were also very inexperienced. After that tourney, our coach went to a friend of hers that owns a batting cage and talked to him. That set the wheels in motion for our team to join an academy.

The academy *seems* like the perfect direction to be going in. Lots of batting cage time, good instruction, etc.

Here's where I need some input:

My DD loves softball! She wants to play in college. She went from a girl who could barely throw at 11, to the starting catcher a year later. She works hard.
With the academy, all the practices are is batting. We have 2 1.5 hour practices a week, plus each girl needs to put in at least an additional hour on their own time at the cages. We have practiced non-stop since October. No break for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Very few fielding practices.

When we joined the academy, we had 8-9 girls going in. 1 left after the 1st meeting. 1 left after a lengthy discussion. 1 left for finacial reasons. 1 never came to any meeting or anything. That leaves us with 4 girls from the original team. My DD's team loyalties are fading fast.

Normally she is ready for practice 30 minutes early, bouncing up and down ready to go. Lately though, I have to tell her we need to leave in 15 minutes and she will go get dressed. She is losing her drive.

A co-worker of my DH has a 12U softball team. He has been asking her to come play for him since last spring.

Finacially, the academy is more than we can really handle. Plus I don't know that it is 100% fair to my other kids, when we are constantly doing things just for her.

To stay with the academy, she would move up to 14U. Play with 3 of her former teammates, and 2 of them she plays school ball with. To leave the team, she could go play on a 12U team, the practices are a bit out of the way (but the coach might be willing to meet me for p/u), she has played a tourney with these girls and has some friends on the team.

The academy's selling point that they use in their pitch is that they will get you noticed by college coaches, etc. This will increase your chance at playing at the next level......

She takes private catching and batting instructions from a coach that both of his kids recieved 100% full rides for ball.

So do we stay or do we go? What would you do?
I could care less if she got a scholarship or if she plays ball in college. BUT I do want her to love to play the game. Right now she is not loving it!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
She will never get the chance to play in college if she quits the game before then because it's not fun. So keep that in mind.

On the other hand, if she doesn't like going to all those practices -- if practicing three times a week is the issue -- playing in college won't be for her.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Doubt a 12 YOA player on a 14U team that gets crushed is going to get a lot of college exposure. I would put your DD on a team that she will enjoy playing with. Love of the game is what will help her advance to the college level. Without it, the rest is meaningless. Sounds like you made your decision. Go with your gut on this one.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
On the other hand, if she doesn't like going to all those practices -- if practicing three times a week is the issue -- playing in college won't be for her.

I think she is just tired of batting off of a tee and soft toss...... Week after week of that will do anyone in. LOL

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Also, what about the fundraiser we just completed? It was to buy uniforms. I haven't turned in the money yet. Do I return the money to the people who donated or turn it into the team?

I can see both ways. But if some of the bigger contributors ask about the team and she is no longer on it and the funds didn't go to help her, would that look bad?

I think I want to return the money.....

Feb 6, 2009
U12 age group is a bit earlu to worry about college. Go so where and make it fun. By the end of U14, if she's still thinking college, she needs to be on the right team to get recruited. U12 and U14 should be fun.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Half the team has left since you joined the academy and your daughter is no longer motivated to go to practice. I think that tells you all you need to know about the value you are getting for the money paid for this instruction. I would not be worried about college exposure at 12U - anyone who tells you otherwise is probably trying to sell you something.

Oct 19, 2009
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary, or as I tell my daughter you have to put the work in to get the success out. A large part of college practice or a good High School ball practice is hitting off a tee and soft toss. I watched Team USA practice and guess what a large part of their practice was hitting off a tee. I know coaches who preach tee work from 100 to 300 swings a day. Seems I read somewhere that Crystal Bustos hitting practice included an hour and a half of tee work a day.

It somewhat puzzles me when a young player thinks they are too good to hit from a tee, not saying that is your daughter just standing on my soapbox here.

Yes tee work and soft toss can be boring, but when those hits start falling it makes it worth it. I didn’t have a lot of money for lessons so I learned form books, took advice from some good coaches and learned a great deal from people on this forum.

There is more than one way to skin that cat.

No one knows the situation better that you do and if your daughters goals have changed or if the direction she is going will meet her needs, you and her need to evaluate and make the decision best for her.

Jul 26, 2010
Play 12u and see if that challenges her. IMHO, after having a daughter that played A ball at a young age, I don't think it's worth the money to invest in a top end A ball team until they're 14 or 15. At that age you will know if it's something they really want to do, and, honestly, unless the girl is a superhero, there's plenty of competition at the B level at 12u.

You can get an hour of quality private instruction, 30m hitting and 30m fielding or catching for less then what you're monthly fee probably is anyway, and do it all in a single evening. Might be worth it.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12