Need some honest advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My $0.02...which is about all that it is worth

Does she project to always be small, or does she still have a lot of growing left to do?
12U-14U there can be a huge disparity between players level of maturity - things level out @ 16U.
Amanda Scarborough was 5'6" and was phenomenal. Kylie Bass at UGA is 5'0"
Does she have a passion for pitching? If she is not passionate about it, her interest will wane.
Does she have the mindset of a pitcher? Does she become rattled easily?
Is the family committed to making her the best pitcher she can be - lessons, bucket time?
If the passion is there, and the family is committed, she needs to get on a team where she is the #1 or #2 pitcher.
Being the #1 or #2 on a B-level team that plays up is better for her development than being the #4 on an A-level team playing OF.
If she has desires to play in college she has plenty of time to develop into an A-level pitcher by 16U.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2015
Great advice already and completely agree with what JAD said. As long as she has the passion for it and is happy with her circle time and team, keep at it. Enjoy every minute of it. The other side is my DD: pitched #1 rec thru 14u, made a competitive 16u B team and was #4 pitcher. She didn't have the work ethic or passion for it, so she's now catching and OF. The tipping point will become very clear if it's not meant to be.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
You can future proof your daughter by teaching her a real change-up. Meaning that if she isn't going to be in the top 10% in velocity teach her to throw a change-up and she can pitch as long as she wants.

I do mean a real change-up that can be thrown for a strike on command at different speeds along the "U".

All pitchers say they have a change-up but very few actually do.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Wow. After reading your post, my advise is to step back and take a GIGANTIC chill pill. She is 11. Your talking about that she "just might not be built to be a college pitcher." So what? Most girls aren't going to be a college pitcher. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. She is 11!!!!!!!

"She's fairly content with the mound time she's getting, she still likes pitching and wants to continue" There is your answer right there. That is all you need to know is that she is enjoying it and having fun. Give her the tools to succeed (good pitching coach), driver her to lessons, practices, games and relax. Enjoy the ride and stop stressing if your ELEVEN year old is going to pitch in college or not. Go enjoy the games, and enjoy the moments, and seriously step back and let her be a kid playing a game.

Sep 29, 2014
If she enjoys it which it sounds like she does...and her coach is giving her some opportunities just continue doing what you are doing.

I would focus HARD on mechanics...you want her to be doing things right so that when she grows she will be able to use the new found strength and size.

Feb 12, 2016
North Carolina
Thanks everyone for all the great advice and replies! To answer a few questions:
1. She is adopted (Chinese), so I have no idea of her growth potential. LOL All I can say is she will be taller than me! DD1 (biological) is 14 and only 4'11. DD1 also plays and gave up pitching 3 yrs ago as she realized it was NOT her thing :)
2. Honestly, she doesn't have the passion. Her passion is legos and minecraft. Like I said, she enjoys it, but she's a natural athlete and succeeds at everything she tries, so never has to give tons of effort. (Unlike DD1 who has the passion and has had to work very hard to get to where she's at.)
3. We are very supportive as far as bucket time and $$ on lessons, but I guess I was starting to wonder if I'm wasting money as I'm watching her teammates continue to grow faster and stronger than her and they are all 05 players. The kid still wears a YM uniform. LOL And honestly, I think if I told her she could no longer pitch and had to play outfield, she would say OK. But if I tell her she has a tournament this weekend and needs to throw 4 days this week, she's good with that too. She really puzzles me at times :)
4. MECHANICS......I'm fairly certain this is part of the problem. We are on our 3rd PC (someone relatively new that Rick Pauly recommended to me on this forum, but I'm not sure he's picking up on all the mechanical issues.) Was so excited that Rick had a clinic in our area last month, but it was cancelled. I have lots of book knowledge from reading this forum, but I just can't translate it into watching my DD and making it helpful. (Think bucket mom who has never really played much ball :)..... I have enjoyed Cyrstal Brown's videos though from her lessons with Rick!
5. Think the best thing for me to do is exactly what Il softball fan and take CHILL PILL!! LOL

Thanks again guys.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Three words came to my mind when reading this...RUDY..RUDY..RUDY
If it becomes her desire and passion to pitch...great, if not great, but let it be her heart and mind that drive that. No reason to prematurely tell her that she is, or is not, something.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
And honestly, I think if I told her she could no longer pitch and had to play outfield, she would say OK. But if I tell her she has a tournament this weekend and needs to throw 4 days this week, she's good with that too. She really puzzles me at times

My DD was always the #1 or #2 pitcher on her team because we took "baby steps" progressing from C-level TB to A-level TB over her career. One of the things that always worked for me as a motivator was making sure DD knew her teammates were counting on her. I would say something like "I really don't care if you practice today, it is kind of chilly outside and I would rather stay home and watch TV, but your teammates are counting on you this weekend. What is going to happen if you get in the circle and suck?" ...If my DD was the #4 pitcher on her team her response probably would have been "it doesn't matter, I will only pitch the pool games anyway"...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12