need some advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
I plan on taking a 10u rec all star team and playing some 10u tournaments in the fall but have the same team play 12u rec in fall. I don't think they are ready to play 12u tournaments. a lot of the players are 1st or 2nd year players and only a cpl have tb experience. Does anyone have any advice or experience doing this ? I understand the different ball sizes and pitching distances.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Read this carefully: Softball is all about perfect execution. So, you have to learn the best way to field, bunt and base run and then teach that to the kids. You will have little time to do anything but defense. The parents and the kids have to get used to working with their kids on batting and pitching on their own time, not during team practice.

You need to be spending 60 minutes a practice hitting ground balls and popups to them.

a) I suspect you do not know how to properly field a ground ball or fly ball. (Few newbie coaches do.) Get Mike Candrea's video and learn. Then, teach it to your kids and *INSIST* that every time they field a ball, they do it perfectly.
b) You need to do the drills in this video about 45 to 60 minutes a practice for a couple of weeks, and then do them 15 to 30 minutes at each practice thereafter. You cannot work too much on fielding easy grounders and popups.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In GA there is everything from 'C-level' (TB for rec all star teams), to low-B, high-B, low-A, and high-A. If your girls experience any level of success in TB most will not want to go back to rec ball. TB is about putting in the extra work to get better and taking softball a little more seriously than a rec ball player who is more worried about what flavor snow cone she should get after the game.

May 31, 2012
Slugger we do these same drills regularly. I like the candrea videos. How do you feel about the kobata style defense.
JAD that's exactly what I want. Gonna ease the team into tb, or tournaments, and in the near future get away from rec ball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think Kobata is good. You have to practice, practice and practice some more.

IMHO, if you are serious about this, I would move away from rec ball as quickly as possible. I would schedule a "B" tournament and see how you do. Check out the best teams in the tournament and see how you stack up.

Pitching is the issue. You need a couple of good pitchers.

Last edited:
May 17, 2011
Make sure you have at least 2 pitchers that can throw strikes, and a decent catcher that doesn't drop 3rd strikes. Try to schedule a friendly scrimmage or two with a nearby TB team before your first tournament.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I plan on taking a 10u rec all star team and playing some 10u tournaments in the fall but have the same team play 12u rec in fall. I don't think they are ready to play 12u tournaments. a lot of the players are 1st or 2nd year players and only a cpl have tb experience. Does anyone have any advice or experience doing this ? I understand the different ball sizes and pitching distances.

If you have pitchers who can throw strikes, then I'd say it's not a question of your experience or talent. You've already said it's an all-star team, so I'm going to assume you have at least a little bit of talent.

The question is whether you've got the commitment from enough parents and their children to play tournaments.

The difference in talent between an all-star team and mid- to low travel teams is minimal. The biggest difference is experience and commitment. The only way to find out what you've got is to jump in and see which families swim and which ones paddle back to the shore.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would sign up for the lowest level TB tournament you can find to 'get your feet wet'. There are several sanctions in GA and GSA specializes in catering to lower level teams. The TD does a good job of policing who he allows into the tournaments to prevent trophy hunting and will 'redline' pitchers that would give teams an unfair advantage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67