Need help with what I think is "casting"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2012
Cowpoke, this clip "looks great" to you? Do you not see the shoulders leading the hips? Do you not see this as an OTT swing? It's pretty much the opposite of a good swing.

5yxiy8.gif

Yep, Now that's a good video clip there.
Thanks FFS

Oct 25, 2009
What is this about? how my girls are doing? they are doing fine, thanks for asking.

they are 12 and 8 and are playing U12 and U8 respectively.

My 12yo will also pitching for her high school come July, as she did last year when she was 11.

Is her high school a public school or a private school? Just curious about high school regulations. MS is a member of the NFHS, I believe.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Is her high school a public school or a private school? Just curious about high school regulations. MS is a member of the NFHS, I believe.

Private. About 3 or 4 years ago they started letting 6th graders participate in non-contact sports. Softball, track, golf, tennis, etc.

We were asked if she was the first pitcher in MS to get their first high school win as an 11yo. It's possible

Jul 11, 2009
The Hanson Principle.

“Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”
-- Mark Hanson

FFS,
You love to quote this a lot, and it is good advice to follow on most occasions. What I find ironic is that you love to quote Mark while you are dogging this particular piece of equipment. And I am pretty sure I remember Mark Hanson as saying he believed the whip hit to be one of the best training aids to teach proper hand path to the ball. Although I don't have his exact post to back it up, that is pretty much what I remember he said.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS,
You love to quote this a lot, and it is good advice to follow on most occasions. What I find ironic is that you love to quote Mark while you are dogging this particular piece of equipment. And I am pretty sure I remember Mark Hanson as saying he believed the whip hit to be one of the best training aids to teach proper hand path to the ball. Although I don't have his exact post to back it up, that is pretty much what I remember he said.

IMO Mark made a valuable contribution to the sport with the introduction of the Hanson Principle.

At the same time, there are plenty of examples of supposed gurus that have taken a wrong path here and there ... and hence the value of the tool (the Hanson Principle) ..... a tool to help people from following others blindly.

I don't believe that Mark wanted folks to follow him blindly, but was more interested in folks making good decisions ... and hence his contribution with the Hanson Principle.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Someone that has developed a good swing may demonstrate using the WhipHit gadget and make it appear as a suitable tool. For swing development purposes you need to be concerned if the object you are swinging encourages short-cuts relative to the goal of developing a good HLBB-type swing.

One major difference between the WhipHit gadget and a normal bat is with the slack between the bat handle and the sweet-spot portion of the object being swung. With the WhipHit gadget, the ball is trailing, and the hitter must attempt to maneuver in a manner to have the lagging ball catch up with the handle at contact.

Those that have swung slightly heavier-than-normal barrels understand their benefit in terms of teaching a proper sequence. An upper body swing, with a heavy barrel, makes the hitter feel foolish, … at which point they are often receptive to learn how to use their lower body complete with SnF mechanics. Why is it the case that a heavy barrel can be so useful to training a well-sequenced swing? The short answer is that the resistance of the barrel is important in teaching a hitter how to use their body in a well-segmented manner.

On the other end of the spectrum is a swing gadget that lacks the resistance of the barrel. Notice how the ball at the end of the WhipHit lags and how the shoulders are used to take the ball from a lagging condition to get inline with the lead arm at impact. The rear leg isn’t driving … … … and the result is that an OTT-type swing is being promoted. The lack of barrel resistance erases the setup for SnF. Notice a lack of lateral tilt, which is important for a real bat, but not quite so important for initiating the swing of a WhipHit. Likewise you see a lack of resulting hip/shoulder spatial separation. Said differently, the lack of barrel resistance is negatively impacting the overall swing sequence.

Don’t ignore the swing arc often demonstrated by the pros. The resistance offered by the speed and weight of the barrel during the rearward portion of the swing arc helps recruit the rear leg/hip action that so many people on this site wish to capture.

In terms of developing a hitter, don’t overlook the importance of using an object that offers resistance similar to that of a real bat. That resistance, and the location of that resistance, is your friend, … and you want to train your body how to make use of that resistance. Learn to deal with that resistance properly and you’ll learn how to power your swing properly. Remove that resistance, and you may be able to get an experienced hitter to demonstrate a clean swing with the object, but you’ll open up paths to move in the wrong direction for a developing hitter.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
BUMP POST

Is there a way to use the whip-hit that doesn't require pushing the elbow/hands/knob forward as the initial movement??
Perhaps setting the tee up mid plate or well inside the front foot instead of out front then working on back shoulder under front shoulder hitting middle right?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I like Mark Hanson, we have talked a bunch.
Howard also has many saying's, one is keep it simple.
Another is see it, feel it, fix it.

The whip hit work's great for hand path and release. Instant feedback. My students hear that crack on the bat from a better hand path and release in short time from the device.
I have home made ones, before the store bought one was invented. Then bought a store bought one afterwards.
A bit pricey, but got good use out of it.

Straightleg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi