Need help with what I think is "casting"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
View attachment 4145
Snapping your wrists too early, that is before passing the body's centre of gravity, also causes the bat head to move away from the body. Like a boat pulling a water skier, when the boat turns, the skier keeps going in the same direction he was going, restricted only by the rope. The bat head is the skier, wrists and arms are the boat. Now imagine the skier is massive, as he keeps going in the direction he was going, his momentum pulls on the rope and the boat (wrists and arms). This force pulling the boat is called centrifugal force. Centrifugal force is the outward force associated with rotation, the equal and opposite of centripetal force, as shown in the schematic in Figure 2. You've most likely felt this force taking a tight turn in the car, or on the tea cups at the amusement park. This force created by the bat head, pulls the hands away from the body, creating a circular swing. So in general, younger players who have less arm and wrist strength are more likely to cast, because the bat is too heavy relative to their size.

Figure 2: Ball is swung around on a string. Centripetal force is acting on the ball by the string. Click to enlarge image.

RBass that is what I call turning the corner and holding on for that split second. I believe that is where lag is.
Bonds has turned the corner and did not release his wrists early like you stated.The kink in the back wrist makes a smooth transition to a nice release. I call it serving up a pizza, Or I should say I got that from Howard.
He keeps it simple and fun for the girls.
I have a girl who likes to take a bite of the make believe pizza on the way past her face..:)

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RBass that is what I call turning the corner and holding on for that split second. I believe that is where lag is.
Bonds has turned the corner and did not release his wrists early like you stated.

SL,
My bad I should have said I post part of Paetkau's Blog as part of SBFAMILY's request. I will edit my post.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
leftright8.gif

I'll see what I can find.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Bonds has turned the corner and did not release his wrists early like you stated.The kink in the back wrist makes a smooth transition to a nice release. I call it serving up a pizza, Or I should say I got that from Howard.
He keeps it simple and fun for the girls.
I have a girl who likes to take a bite of the make believe pizza on the way past her face..:)

"Serving up a pizza" I will second that the girls love this cue. I started using it, after a post similar to this one.

I tried it myself, it is appropriate, so I used it one day, and it was very well received.

It is the "fillet" of "cut and fillet".

Thank you for passing this cue on straightleg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah