Need help with what I think is "casting"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
An instructor that you respect, demonstrates using the product with his daughter, who you also respect, and demonstrates considerable ‘bat drag’ in the demonstration. You suggest that they use the product more than anyone you know … and yet the demonstration is not favorable. That should suggest to you that even someone you consider knowledgeable can struggle with the gadget.

The product comes with descriptions of shoving the hands forward to initiate the swing. JDBerry acknowledges that’s how he uses the product. Yet you acknowledge that the swing should not be initiated in such a manner. Just another data point of how folks can be led in the wrong direction with the gadget.

In this thread there is a girl shown demonstrating the WhipHit ... in what they perceive to be a demonstration of “hands inside the ball” ... and the unfortunate result is that she's developing an OTT (Over The Top) type swing in which the shoulders lead the hips … virtually the opposite of what is desired. And that’s what initiating the swing by shoving the hands forward does to a hitter … it takes them away from a proper inside/out swing path and moves them towards an OTT type swing.

The use of the product as described in the manual, is not good, and will lead folks in the wrong direction.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
whip hit bat vs hinge bat vs rope bat... Good thread and it covers what FFS stated . You don't use it right it will cause the player to shove the hands thru. If you read this thread and the testimonials from some MLB players that have used it, you can see it's pro's and con's. Many on the above thread have used it, FFS has not. Like anything I try something myself and if I don't like it, then I don't use it. That dd above you are talking about is one heck of a D1 player. 90% of the posters on here would be lucky to have a dd at that level with that type of success. At least he posted a video of a student!! plus this thread : robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post/The-Whip-Hit-Bat-3224842

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
DD summer team uses the whip-hit ever practice and DD and her teammates like the tool; you’ll find them before practice using it for soft-toss, I believe that most of the kids will tell you it helps them with a good Path to the ball. I personally have not used the tool in my training, but like what I’ve seen from the tool at DD practices.

The proper tool in the right hands can be very productive; the same tool in the wrong hands can be disastrous.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
POint being, I will not post other people's children unless I reply to the original poster. Some people have no morals.

Getting to her actions with the device. I dont care for talking her hands forward ahead of her upper half. I dont teach that. But some girls use it for timing. As an instructor myself, a girl comes to me with that move and likes that move, I tell her I dont teach that but I will still try and help her and make her swing more powerfull.

When she does swing, she makes a good move with the elbows working together, and rotates pretty well connected with upper and lower body.
She also has a good weight shift.

Do you try and discredit someone about the device because of the instructions?
This girl is using the instructions and it is not effecting her swing?

Or do you simple look at the girl swinging the whip hit and see she has a good hand path.
What is the whip hit designed for?

Handpath is one of them.

Good job girl and dad who ever you are..;)

Straightleg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
The swing being demonstrated is following the directions included with the WhipHit manual. It is not being taken out of context.

From the WhipHit manual ...

To begin the swing allow the lead arm elbow to move on a linear path with the elbow making a direct move forward about 3 to 4 inches. Your hand should follow the elbow forward

As your elbow moves forward it will draw your hands through and the WhipHit ball on the end of the rope will “whip” towards the tee.

Use both hands and maintain the forward elbow move to whip the ball through the swing.

start your swing by pulling your lead arm elbow forward so it pulls the ball out of your back hand and hits the ball off the tee.

Could the Whip Hit be useful if it had additional instruction sets? Could it be used to teach throw the barrel?

If the girl in the video had led with her hips would the resulting swing be better?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Could the Whip Hit be useful if it had additional instruction sets? Could it be used to teach throw the barrel?

If the girl in the video had led with her hips would the resulting swing be better?

I would say a completely new set of instructions would be needed. How the device is described to be used is destructive to the development of a good swing. It certainly didn't help this girl.

SBF gave the following link ... The Whip Hit Bat - . In the link is a post by "Original Coach" that describes the use of the WhipHit ... and what you see is the same bad advice regarding the start the swing ... "To begin the swing then allow the lead arm elbow to move somewhat linear with the elbow making a direct move forward about 3 to 4 inches with the hand path inside the ball on the tee and not over the plate or what we term a bad first move or casting out."

Regarding your question ... the girl in this demo is being led to believe that she is performing an "inside swing" simply because her hands are inside the ball ... but by that definition of an "inside swing", all swings are "inside swings". A good swing is "inside/out", and the instruction she is following, which is the instruction given with the WhipHit gadget, has her instead performing an OTT swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole