Need help with what I think is "casting"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I would say a completely new set of instructions would be needed. How the device is described to be used is destructive to the development of a good swing. It certainly didn't help this girl.

SBF gave the following link ... The Whip Hit Bat - . In the link is a post by "Original Coach" that describes the use of the WhipHit ... and what you see is the same bad advice regarding the start the swing ... "To begin the swing then allow the lead arm elbow to move somewhat linear with the elbow making a direct move forward about 3 to 4 inches with the hand path inside the ball on the tee and not over the plate or what we term a bad first move or casting out."

Regarding your question ... the girl in this demo is being led to believe that she is performing an "inside swing" simply because her hands are inside the ball ... but by that definition of an "inside swing", all swings are "inside swings". A good swing is "inside/out", and the instruction she is following, which is the instruction given with the WhipHit gadget, has her instead performing an OTT swing.

But, if her hips had started her swing I believe the swing would have been a good swing to model.

Mar 12, 2012
Is she doing what the video says, "Keeping My hands Inside The Ball"?
It's hard for me to tell when folks post real time vids, you tube doesn't slow it down enough for me.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
But, if her hips had started her swing I believe the swing would have been a good swing to model.

The "hips" per-say don't start a good swing. The initiation of good swing involves the hips being driven, and if the muscles in the back are used appropriately, then you'll initiate the swing with the assistance of the resulting lateral tilting action, which is a big part of capturing transition of the barrel. Also, in a real swing, there is feedback of the barrel head at launch ... as the hands 'feel' the barrel ... the launching process of a 'ball on a string' is a bit different (due to the initial slack), and as you can see in the example above, the launch process can be pretty screwed up.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's hard for me to tell when folks post real time vids, you tube doesn't slow it down enough for me.

xpv6sg.gif

If one's definition of "hands inside the ball" is that the hands are literally between the body and the ball as one swings towards contact, then virtually every swing is "hands inside the ball". I have yet to see a swing with the hands literally on the outside of the ball (referenced as above).

What we see here is a poor swing, and it doesn't capture the intent of what many imply with the cue of "hands inside the ball".

Oct 25, 2009

You can pause/start the video as often as you wish by clicking the arrow in the left bottom corner.

Keeping the hands inside the ball is a cue. The hands will always stay inside the ball, anyway. Otherwise, someone is gonna be hurting.

What the cue means, I think, is to keep the hands relatively close to the chest, instead of casting them out away from the body. By relative, I mean in relation to the ball. On an inside pitch they would be much closer to the chest than on an outside pitch. Even if you let the ball get deep for the outside pitch, the hands would still not be as compact as for an inside pitch.

I think the current discussion is really talking about pulling the hands across the body more so than if throwing the barrel. When the barrel is thrown the hands don't pull along so far before the barrel is thrown.

Personally, I'm pretty sure either method works. Similar to the wrist snap when throwing the ball, some just throw and the wrist does what it does at the end. Others like to give the extra snap. My opinion, anyway.

Oct 25, 2009
The "hips" per-say don't start a good swing. The initiation of good swing involves the hips being driven, and if the muscles in the back are used appropriately, then you'll initiate the swing with the assistance of the resulting lateral tilting action, which is a big part of capturing transition of the barrel. Also, in a real swing, there is feedback of the barrel head at launch ... as the hands 'feel' the barrel ... the launching process of a 'ball on a string' is a bit different (due to the initial slack), and as you can see in the example above, the launch process can be pretty screwed up.

The feeling at launch is the ball on the rope being pulled around when I try to throw the barrel. And when the timing (actually, the point of contact) isn't right the ball tries to whip around the head. But you CAN get the barrel throw feeling.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
I would like to hear how JDBerry's girls are doing and what age/level they are playing.

What is this about? how my girls are doing? they are doing fine, thanks for asking.

they are 12 and 8 and are playing U12 and U8 respectively.

My 12yo will also pitching for her high school come July, as she did last year when she was 11.

Mar 12, 2012
If one's definition of "hands inside the ball" is that the hands are literally between the body and the ball as one swings towards contact, then virtually every swing is "hands inside the ball". I have yet to see a swing with the hands literally on the outside of the ball (referenced as above).

What we see here is a poor swing, and it doesn't capture the intent of what many imply with the cue of "hands inside the ball".

FFS, At first glimpse, this clip looks great; Girl bouncing back n forth and then bull whips a gnat off a tee.
But after multiple viewings and reading comments, I am starting to think it's more gimmicky practice. I dunno, maybe it is a good thing if it does what is claimed. FFS can you post reference some clips/images of other "hands inside the ball" one's you would consider a decent reference point?
Thanks

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Cowpoke, this clip "looks great" to you? Do you not see the shoulders leading the hips? Do you not see this as an OTT swing? It's pretty much the opposite of a good swing.

5yxiy8.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole