Need help with what I think is "casting"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I like Mark Hanson, we have talked a bunch.
Howard also has many saying's, one is keep it simple.
Another is see it, feel it, fix it.

The whip hit work's great for hand path and release. Instant feedback. My students hear that crack on the bat from a better hand path and release in short time from the device.
I have home made ones, before the store bought one was invented. Then bought a store bought one afterwards.
A bit pricey, but got good use out of it.

Straightleg

Back in the old days we used a short length of thick rope with a knot tied in it. We used it then to get the knot around to contact the ball versus a limp rope to the ball. To me, the feeling of my home made whip hit is the same as that was. And to me that feeling is like throwing the barrel. You have to torque your hands really well to get the slack out of the rope and have the ball of the whip hit hit the ball on the tee (or front toss).

Pulling the knob towards the ball also works but I really don't like the bat path that produces.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
What softballphreak posted is what we started with. Test, for those that actually teach hitting will know this. Hold the end of the rope and see how the hitter handles different hand paths. You will get your answer instead of taking someones advice! Just use a rope, you really don't even need the knot. Your student will have instant feedback.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Why don't you let those that would like to learn something, learn instead of bashing eveyone that posts anything you don't seem to like. You always seem to have an agenda. If you had actually did the test you would know what it was about and a bat has nothing to do with it. Those that do what softballphreak talks about will feel it right away.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Let's stick to discussing the technicalities of hitting.

What we've seen are demonstrations of people thinking they were learning how to perform a swing with the "hands inside the ball" ... and what we observed instead were people that were fooling themselves into improving their swing while moving in the wrong direction. There are people willing to put in the work to improve ... ... ... seems only logical that we'd encourage them to work smartly.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Dave Paetkau's Brain in a Blog

pzoneacademy.blogspot.com
rdbass read Jenn Yee post on casting. Your picture reminded me of the demo by her and Dave .

You are better at posting pictures. Her and Dave explain it better than I do with the rope data!
I guess if you don't like Yee's swing then so be it. So also on her Brain in a Blob explains the baseball softball pitching difference.

I sent rdbass a pm , because I know he can post pictures and put this casting to rest. Her /Dave's blog does a better job of explaining the rope!

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Dave Paetkau's Brain in a Blog

pzoneacademy.blogspot.com
rdbass read Jenn Yee post on casting. Your picture reminded me of the demo by her and Dave .

You are better at posting pictures. Her and Dave explain it better than I do with the rope data!
I guess if you don't like Yee's swing then so be it. So also on her Brain in a Blob explains the baseball softball pitching difference.

I sent rdbass a pm , because I know he can post pictures and put this casting to rest. Her /Dave's blog does a better job of explaining the rope!

Dave Paetkau's Brain in a Blog: Casting Is Left For The Fish

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Thanks. Dave's demo was try to pull the student forward as you hold the rope if they try to cast they can't move you. If they do as Yee stated with the elbow they can pull you forward. The student can see it, feel it , and understand it. Google Dave's bio if you have any questions of his ability to teach hitting. It's impressive to say the least.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
View attachment 4145
http://pzoneacademy.blogspot.com/2008/09/casting-is-left-for-fish.html
Posting alittle taste of blog:
Snapping your wrists too early, that is before passing the body's centre of gravity, also causes the bat head to move away from the body. Like a boat pulling a water skier, when the boat turns, the skier keeps going in the same direction he was going, restricted only by the rope. The bat head is the skier, wrists and arms are the boat. Now imagine the skier is massive, as he keeps going in the direction he was going, his momentum pulls on the rope and the boat (wrists and arms). This force pulling the boat is called centrifugal force. Centrifugal force is the outward force associated with rotation, the equal and opposite of centripetal force, as shown in the schematic in Figure 2. You've most likely felt this force taking a tight turn in the car, or on the tea cups at the amusement park. This force created by the bat head, pulls the hands away from the body, creating a circular swing. So in general, younger players who have less arm and wrist strength are more likely to cast, because the bat is too heavy relative to their size.

Figure 2: Ball is swung around on a string. Centripetal force is acting on the ball by the string. Click to enlarge image.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball