Need help using a drill to teach extension and follow through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2014
Sorry for not explaining the elbow position completely. Her elbow stays bent and her front arm never gets completely extended after contact. I would get a video, but thanks to my job I have been put on second shift temporarily so my seeing her during the week is limited.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
qzlr93.gif

Some may feel that this hitter developed a short swing in terms of getting to the point of contact … and while that is certainly important, simply getting to the ball shouldn’t be the goal, because that alone isn’t sufficient for power production.

Hitters like this need to learn how to use their hands to get “through” the ball to maximize power production.

Jul 18, 2014
Yes! My daughter is doing the same thing (in Five Frame Swings video) as the young lady above is doing.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
image.jpg
We talk a lot about swinging from behind and out from the body, not around. Then a lot of dry swings reinforcing it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Your body prepares to achieve the goals you set.

You don’t want to simply have a goal of getting to contact.

A downstream goal of extension helps the swing function better through contact and improves the quality of impact.

Note the Yeager video above in which Bonds tells Jennie Finch to “get the top hand through”. The front arm must allow that to happen. If you straighten the front arm along with the top arm, the top hand can’t get through.

In a sense the top hand goes around the bottom hand. Prior to contact the top hand is behind the bottom hand. At contact the top and bottom hands are lined up. After contact the top hand should be past the bottom hand. Said differently … the top hand is in the process of getting “through”.

Below is a video of Wil Myer talking about how a focus on getting through the ball helped turn his performance around.

Wil Myers Diamond Demo | MLB.com

2cwprwx.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2014
Using a short bat, or choked do tee work with just the front hand only on the bat.

Place tee out to front foot and work on lead arm extension at contact with palm down. Back arm will be up against the hitters chest

Note: this is done at 30-60% speed, focusing on hand path and contact position

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You don't push the bottom hand to extension .... you allow the bottom hand to be taken to extension.

In the clip of Bonds below he is throwing the barrel with his top hand. His top hand goes around his bottom one. At contact they are lined up ..... but you can see that prior to contact, and after contact, that the top hand is in the process of getting "through", or around, the bottom hand. If he was pushing the lead hand forward this wouldn't be happening.

oamz6d.gif

After contact the bottom hand is not pushed to extension ... the bat and the rotational forces pull it to extension.

Below is a clip of Upton ..... his top hand gets "through" (around the bottom hand) .... at contact the top hand is in the process of moving around the bottom hand.

JUpton_11.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1