Need help using a drill to teach extension and follow through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
When the top hand releases it allows the bottom hand to extend further. If the top hand doesn't release the hands must roll sooner.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When the top hand releases it allows the bottom hand to extend further. If the top hand doesn't release the hands must roll sooner.

If full extension of the lead-arm, towards the pitcher (or portion of the field where you sent the ball), is your goal .... then why not simply pull the bottom hand through to extension?

If you actively pull the bottom hand to extension, you will limit the ability of Bonds' advice to Jennie Finch in the video I posted earlier.

It is the action of the top hand getting "through" that provides the quality of contact that we are after .... that is why extension is cherished.

Oct 25, 2009
If full extension of the lead-arm, towards the pitcher (or portion of the field where you sent the ball), is your goal .... then why not simply pull the bottom hand through to extension?

If you actively pull the bottom hand to extension, you will limit the ability of Bonds' advice to Jennie Finch in the video I posted earlier.

It is the action of the top hand getting "through" that provides the quality of contact that we are after .... that is why extension is cherished.

True. Letting the top hand slide off at maximum extension would just help ensure that the top hand doesn't prematurely restrict extension.

Cabrera, for one, does this.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Miggy_2013ALCS_front.gif

Oct 19, 2009
For the reverse hand drill to be a drill that does not help with extension I see more and more college teams that incorporate the drill into their drills and even see college players use the drill while on deck.

My daughter's college team uses the drill, and I’ve used it to help kids feel extension and including my own DD. I assure if I did not believe the drill works I would not use it with my own DD. :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I disagree with this assessment above.

Cause:
Her bat is flat and her swing is circular. She pulls the knob to far forward creating a late release, reducing extension

SL

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. I wrote extension is being restricted ... you write that extension is reduced. Sounds like you agree that her extension is lacking.

FYI .... All the post was meant to do is outline that a hitter can lack extension even when their hips lead their upper torso. Leading with the hips is not a cure for obtaining extension.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd