Need help using a drill to teach extension and follow through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2014
OK, so my DD has a bad habit of not getting good extension after hitting the ball. It looks to me like she is keeping her front elbow locked and this is causing what I call "looping" effect with her bat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oct 25, 2009
I was going to suggest the reverse hand drill until you mentioned she keeps her elbow locked. Not sure what to recommend.

Place a tee deep in the hitting zone and have her stay inside the ball enough to drive it to right field.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
In getting my DD to get her elbows in to turn the barrel she started doing much like your DD. We just started doing a 5 in succession quick front side toss with wiffle balls and a 3/4" dowel as the bat. Quick to the ball with full extension and the quickly back for the next one. She really likes doing it and we'll see if translates to a full swing soon. No time to cast or dumping the barrel. It's also really easy to know when the swing is around the body and not through the ball.

Driving the ball to right field like SBF said is also a good idea.

May 29, 2013
What do you mean by elbow locked? Locked straight, or held at an angle and not flexible? Or something else?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Reverse hand drill is not an extension drill. Originally posted as an extension drill but, not what it teaches. RHD is a good drill but, not for teaching extension. Extension is a result of proper/good swing.
keeping her front elbow locked
I'm picturing swinging 'around' her body and not 'out from'. Like softballphreak suggested swing opp/attack opp.
Without video I'm guessing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd