Need help...me and 12yo DD are about to kill each other

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2011
We've started Junior High ball and are off to a slow start. My 12yo DD can't hit anything. She is dropping her hands and swinging under everything. When she does hit the ball, it is usually either a pop foul or shallow pop up. Her coaches keep telling her to throw her hands at the ball, but she doesn't seem to be able to.

I tried to get her to touch the bat to her shoulder when she loads (per another video I saw on here recently on how to correct a "V swing"). She claims her coach told her to get the bat head up, so she has scrapped that approach before really even trying it.

I think she is starting with her hands too high. Her load is off too...she tends to load as a part of her stance. IN other words, instead of the smooth load-explode rhythm, she loads shortly after getting into the box...sits there with her weight back until the pitcher throws, and then tries to explode into the hit. All the while, she still has her hands about ear high. When she comes forward,, the hands drop and she typically swings under the ball. She is also casting her arms. We did some tee work last night and her barrel was wide of the ball...we both gor frustrated and hung it up. At this point, I think I know what she shold be doing, but I'm struggling to get it to click before one of us gets mad.

Please just give me some real simple, practical advice and maybe even a routine on how to get her through this. We have tees, nets, soft toss machines, and even a pitching machine. The resources are there...just need the knowledge, patience, and will at this point. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Your daughter needs another coach besides you. She is at an age where she won't listen to you (and if you're teaching her to put her bat on her shoulder, even to correct an issue, I would probably ignore it too. Can you link the video?)

Mar 13, 2010
I don't agree with that video for two very important reason.

1. To fix a problem, he's changing the batting swing. I've never been a fan of that.
2. He's talking about baseball and a ball coming down at the batter. I'm not as hardline as some people and say baseball and softball swings are completly different and never the twain shall meet, but a softball swing is hitting a bigger ball coming at a different angle.

Tee work, tee work, tee work. By having the tee there, it's showing her what she's doing wrong. When she chops under it, she will not hit the ball, she will hit the tee. Every time. She has to learn to correct herself and by doing continuous tee work she will realise that.

If she hates tee work, she will fix the problem quicker :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I went through this with my son, when he was about 11 or 12. He insisted on parking the basketball on his right shoulder and shooting from there. So, I griped enough, that he just quit shooting. Grrr.

I finally figured out that it was his game and I shut up. I don't know what I thought I was doing, but I learned to only offer advice when it was requested. (It never was.) But, he was my oldest and I learned from there. Good luck and remember, the more we push, the more they resist.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Went through same issues with my at the time 12 now 13 DD.To many people trying to help DD with hitting.I like Epstein's torgue drill which you say you are teaching/watched right now to your DD.I did what mike explained on the video.Had my DD start in the already coiled position with bat against shoulder, at toe touch all she had to do was heel plant put hands on a selve swing with barrel on same plain as ball.I tried to simplify the process because we were half way into the season and DD was struggling at the plate.I would go on the Tech hitting forum and read all that you can.Also the Megan hitting post is a must read.Tried to keep calm when trying to help your DD don't be like me I was speaking in a load voice which my DD just viewed as me being mad at her.Keep it fun.

Oct 25, 2009
Rotational Hitting Drills From Mike Epstein Hitting (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube

This video and Part 2 in this series was what I tried to work on last weekend with her.

Use the video I posted with the tee that Lozza suggested.

No matter what she is doing now she needs lots and lots of long tee and front toss. Even a batter with poor mechanics can hit the ball if they see enough front toss and tee. But the "athletic position" is critical to be ready to hit when the ball gets there. If she can't be in that position when the ball arrives (not after the ball arrives) then she won't hit. Period.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD just completerd working trough exactly what you described. In addition, DD has always ahead of the ball, ripping balls foul down the LF line, trying to hurt the 3rd base coach. We all could see what was incorrect but struggled to correct the problem. I took her to a local hitting coach who diagnosed the following:
1. The bat she had was too short and light, thus the foul balls and being constsntly ahead of the pitch....they experimented with several bats until they found what worked best.
2. Tee, work and front toss helped correct the problem of dropping the hands/shoulders.
3. DD has one swing thought (sounds like golf) when she bats "knob of the bat to the ball"..This helps keep her shoulders level during a swing.

It took 3 weeks of work to correct this, but it did pay off with several extra base hits @ PONY's in NC.

Best of luck to you.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Your daughter needs another coach besides you. She is at an age where she won't listen to you (and if you're teaching her to put her bat on her shoulder, even to correct an issue, I would probably ignore it too. Can you link the video?)

Lozza is correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321