Need help...me and 12yo DD are about to kill each other

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2011
The bat on the shoulder thing Epstein discusses in the video actually makes sense to me and it seemed to make sense to the DD. The point (it seems to me) is to give the kid some immediate feedback and keep them from dropping the hands too much (since he suggests touching the barrel to the deltoid). It's not a matter of putting the bat on the top of the shoulder, he says touch the deltoid and connect the dots from shoulder to shoulder basically. I still kind of think this will help her.

I'll probably talk to her team coach and explain what she is doing and why. If he still says no, I guess I'll support whatever he wants to teach, but it makes a lot of sense to give that tactile feedback.

May 31, 2011
X3...Shes heard you so much you sound like Charlie Browns teacher on the cartoon...
Amazes me when I take mine to a tutor and the tutor says the same thing I do...and DD listens:)

LOL...guess we've all been there. I can actually see her eyes start to glaze over and it's obvious all she is hearing is "wok..wok...wok..wok..wok..wok".

May 25, 2010
Without question, what you're expressing is a parent-child relationship issue, not a hitting issue.

I get that full-time softball is a total family commitment, but when all is said and done, she is the one who's just started junior high softball, not you. Let her have it and be there for her when she lets you know she needs you. Your DD is entering that critical stage when many young women (and boys, too) will drop out of sports altogether. I know you want her to be successful, but you've got to allow her to work through this without her feeling as though you're over-parenting her in the process.

3sDad

LOL...Mines 14...been at since she was 4...her eyes show she's wandering off when I say something also...They ALL reach a point where Dad sounds like a broken record...
Send her to someone you trust...I usually stay in parking lot...

LOL...guess we've all been there. I can actually see her eyes start to glaze over and it's obvious all she is hearing is "wok..wok...wok..wok..wok..wok".

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Brad,
Learn what you can about hitting.To me nothing is more frustrating then someone who may be a coach trying to teach my DD to hit that has no clue.There are alot of people who post on here that know alot about hitting.Read through the posts on the tech hitting forum.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Some of your comments really make me realize how blessed I am. My dd listens to everything I say and does well trying to apply it. I still get frustrated(especially in the beginning) and some times use my daddy voice , but I have learned(from watching her hitting instructor how to communicate better(most of the time). It's funny, we'll be in the garage working on something and it'll seem like she
's not getting it, then we'll go out to practice and BLAM, she's doing exactly what i told her. Makes me smile.
Your comments also scare me. My dd is about to turn 9 and from listening to other parents it all changes about 11. I hope not. I hope I've got that freak child that aways listens to what her bucketdad says and works hard.
Like many have posted, I agree that you should seek professional help. A good hitting instructor is worth their weight in gold. We, as parents, are to close to our dds and though we might have great relationships there is a whole lot more stress there than just softball.
I think the Epstein videos are good and have been debating buying some of his resources. I also like the stuff Marc Daganais teaches. He's kinda got a hybrid between rotational and linear hitting in many of his videos. But she needs to find what works best for her.

3sDad

9?....LOL...just wait...you have a new child enroute when puberty kicks in;-)...I dont mean a that in a bad way...Parents get 'dumber' when kids get to be teenagers (dont you remember that;-)?... We return to being smart when they get about 25 when they realize good wisom comes from bad experience

Some of your comments really make me realize how blessed I am. My dd listens to everything I say and does well trying to apply it. I still get frustrated(especially in the beginning) and some times use my daddy voice , but I have learned(from watching her hitting instructor how to communicate better(most of the time). It's funny, we'll be in the garage working on something and it'll seem like she
's not getting it, then we'll go out to practice and BLAM, she's doing exactly what i told her. Makes me smile.
Your comments also scare me. My dd is about to turn 9 and from listening to other parents it all changes about 11. I hope not. I hope I've got that freak child that aways listens to what her bucketdad says and works hard.
Like many have posted, I agree that you should seek professional help. A good hitting instructor is worth their weight in gold. We, as parents, are to close to our dds and though we might have great relationships there is a whole lot more stress there than just softball.
I think the Epstein videos are good and have been debating buying some of his resources. I also like the stuff Marc Daganais teaches. He's kinda got a hybrid between rotational and linear hitting in many of his videos. But she needs to find what works best for her.

Mar 25, 2011
Maybe use The Talent Code method. Ask your daughter where she pictures herself and softball in 5-10 years? What is her plan? Does she have one? If she says she is pretty much done with it, then step away and let her enjoy what little bit she has left. If she says she plans on being there a long time, then step away, and let her dwell on that. If she says I don't know, step away and let her dwell on that.

You sound like maybe you are trying to fix her swing. Only she can do that. When I posted a video of my daughter and her swing on this site, she became extremely interested in what was going on. If you can get permission from mom, I would suggest doing it. You will get so much more from it than just watching videos and telling her stuff. THese young ladies unfortuantely thrive on online contect. Feed to that ... you might be amazed.

Oct 25, 2009

Right now, for a 125 lb coach that is about $3,700,000. When do I start? I've included a substantial weight discount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298