Need Help From IR Experts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
If this were my DD, I would tell the high school coach that she doesn't need a new pitching coach and if not going to him/her will affect playing time then perhaps the AD may need to be involved. I have always taken the stance of "if it aint broke, dont fix it." Good luck.

Some HS coaches will be open to "She doesn't need a new pitching coach." Others will not.
I'll tell you right now that if you tell the coach "She doesn't need a new pitching coach," it is my belief that odds are high that the coach will be less inclined to play her. Getting the AD involved is laughable, in my opinion. Odds are against you there as well.

"If it ain't broke..." From whose perspective?

Feb 21, 2013
Some HS coaches will be open to "She doesn't need a new pitching coach." Others will not.
I'll tell you right now that if you tell the coach "She doesn't need a new pitching coach," it is my belief that odds are high that the coach will be less inclined to play her. Getting the AD involved is laughable, in my opinion. Odds are against you there as well.

"If it ain't broke..." From whose perspective?

It definitely is not as simple as just saying no. I do hope that the coach and I can have some reasonable dialogue about it. I feel that I have respectfully given his suggestion a try, and just feel that it will be a step in the wrong direction for her development. Maybe I am being naive, but I'm hopeful that he will be receptive to that. Ultimately, the proof is in the pudding as they say. At the end of the day the high school coach readily admits he is not a pitching expert. I'm hopeful everyone involved will be reasonable!

Feb 21, 2013
Mads, i am not a pitching coach nor am I an expert on the inner-workings of certain types of spins on the softball but I can tell ya one thing......if your DD has been a successful pitcher on a competitive travel team with her current mechanics, then I wouldnt mess with them just because a high school coach recommends an expensive pitching coach. Also, just because someone charges a high rate for lessons doesnt mean they are worth it. If this were my DD, I would tell the high school coach that she doesnt need a new pitching coach and if not going to him/her will affect playing time then perhaps the AD may need to be involved. I have always taken the stance of "if it aint broke, dont fix it." Good luck.

Thanks for the response...in a perfect world you are correct. Unfortunately, there are always egos involved. I pride myself on being objective about my daughters skill level. She is not perfect. She knows it and I know it. I think that is why she & I were willing to give this guy a try. After four lessons, and an attitude of everything is an absolute and my way is the only way, I am comfortable with finding away to back away. It is just going to take some finesse!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Cordially invite him/her to read the IR in the classroom by Boardmember and the drive mechanics thread by Javasource here on DFP. At least those two threads have the potential to show a person just how ignorant they might be in this regard, which could humble/soften them a bit. But then again, be prepared for them to have no interest whatsoever in what Boardmember and Javasource are espousing. There are many people who don't mind being a fool.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
Mads, i am not a pitching coach nor am I an expert on the inner-workings of certain types of spins on the softball but I can tell ya one thing......if your DD has been a successful pitcher on a competitive travel team with her current mechanics, then I wouldnt mess with them just because a high school coach recommends an expensive pitching coach. Also, just because someone charges a high rate for lessons doesnt mean they are worth it. If this were my DD, I would tell the high school coach that she doesnt need a new pitching coach and if not going to him/her will affect playing time then perhaps the AD may need to be involved. I have always taken the stance of "if it aint broke, dont fix it." Good luck.

Getting the AD involved is one sure way to have a rough 4 years of school ball. AD'S play a large part of the hiring process and they don't want to hear anything bad about their "pick". Doesn't matter if you take video evidence of teaching something completely wrong they will give you just enough attention to make you think they are truly listening. They aren't.

Nov 7, 2014
Sadly some high school coaches are the reason Some athletes choose to stay with TB and not play HS all together. There are quite a few in my area that do not play HS and just play TB

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I wouldn't get the AD involved. Easton33 is correct. I actually see the AD and coach as being the same entity. Regardless of whether you are right or wrong, you'll be seen as a trouble-maker. This is why there is often an abuse of power that arises when a big ego person ends up in the position of power.

Stick with the path that leads to the best mechanics regardless of egos and/or abuse of power.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I stand by my response. Why in the world would you want to go to a pitching coach that isnt teaching your DD the correct way to pitch? I dont care what situation you are in.....Furthermore, high school ball, at least where I come from, is a joke compared to competitive travel ball. If the high school coach wants to win ball games and your DD can pitch good enough to do it, then the high school coach shouldnt care if your DD is going to Mickey Mouse for pitching lessons or how she pitches. If he does care, why should you care what he thinks in the first place??? High school softball coaches and competitive travel ball pitchers go together like oil and water. I guess it is up to you which one you are going to be....the oil or the water. Again, good luck.

Oct 4, 2014
just an observation, I could be completely off base here but the first time I read Mads post I thought he was describing BM's lock-it in drill. then I read it again and wondered if Mads may have used the wrong term when he said 3 0'clock and meant the starting point of the lock-it in drill. I guess what I am saying is his post was too vague to draw definitive conclusion on the 35 min drill. my suggestion for Mads would be to go to I/R in the classroom and see if the drill your high priced PC is teaching is what you see there, then ask Java or BM for help.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I would guess the OP was referencing this "drill"...

2d9eonm.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00