Need Critiques

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
gary-cole-west-wing-pic-1coll.jpg

Kerry Collins is one of my all-time favorite Nittany Lions. Yeah, I'm a homer. :)

Mar 28, 2013
Sorry If I'm throwing in my 2 cents while not being one the proclaimed "experts" but she is also swimming with glove hand and that is contributing to her falling off her power line. Have her start to become used to feeling the glove lever. This will also help her release timing and improve the explosiveness at the release point. Keep that Glove hand down the power line as best as possible.

Jul 17, 2012
Thanks.. Got it.. I am going to show to her pitching coach as well. We meet on Sunday. We have missed the pass two weeks my husbands chemo as taken over. I will try to get side view next week at lesson pool table is in the way at home. :) We are doing IR she has gotten all whacky after they are trying to get her to push further.

Carla, the only thing I might mention is that Pitching coaches, from my experience, don't like to be told by Mom's and Dad's how to teach a young lady how to pitch.....and for good reason. You wouldn't take her for piano lessons and tell the teacher how you want her to be taught right? So it's usually best to just do the research yourself...(you were pointed in the right direction by the other posters) and evaluate the instruction. Where the instruction is very different from what you see on here.....ask some questions so you understand what they are teaching.

As someone else said...she looks long and strong....2 great qualities. She does look really off balance, so don't be afraid to have her do some basic core exercises. That will really help her get control of her body and improve her balance.....which will help EVERY aspect of her game.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So this young lady needs to work on her lower body, but because it's not there yet, she has to retreat to step style (ie, not full pitching)? That is the part that concerns me. Back in the day when everyone was switching over from step to leap, it seemed to me that new HS pitchers (Yes it happens all the time, and I get assistants to teach pitching) had an easier time with leap and drag than my HSers who were trying to go from step to leap. So now we make it mandatory to step before learning the leap.

There you go again. My advice was aimed at isolating the arm to teach whip first not at starting as a step style pitcher.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Carla,

I wanted to explain a little better what I was getting at. I view pitching as a progressions of skills that starts with the arm circle. Getting a good arm circle with the proper whip is, in my opinion, the fundamental pitching skill for speed and accuracy. If a good arm circle, that stays on plane, has the correct hand positions at 12-9 and 6 o'clock, and uses a slight bend in the elbow cannot be achieved during stationary drills, then progressing to a full motion from the rubber is premature in my opinion. When you progress to the full motion at first, I expect the arm circle do degrade somewhat, but the fundamentals of I/R should not. IF it does then I think backing up a step and really getting that ingrained is really important. I did not do this with my first daughter, we went to the full motion too soon and to this day she does not keep a bend in her arm or keep her palm up until I/R is engaged. It has been a real bear to try to undo this. If I could go back in time (which I am somewhat with my younger daughter) I would not have stressed the full motion as much. With my little one we are much more focused on the drills with the full motion only for playing around at the end of practice at this point. All of our practice is a progression of the I/R drills. As a result, she has the palm to the sky really ingrained already, much better than her older sister, she still has trouble with keeping a good bend all the way until her brush occurs, but she is closer fundamentally to the ideal than her sister who went full motion faster. As a result, when we do go to full motion, we can work on the lower body, glove side, foot position etc. The idea is to take this complicated motion and isolate what you can and ingrain that and then progress towards the full motion, that way there are fewer things to focus on in the full motion because the arm circle is better.

In your DDs case, I saw a lot of individual things that needed improvement, all of which were mentioned by others. But my take on it was that instead of trying to list all of these, just taking the full motion out of the equation for now and focusing on the arm circle itself would be more beneficial in the long run. I think this is sound advice in her case. Get her to learn how to play underhand catch with good I/R mechanics and then move towards pitching, I think the road will be smoother that way.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
The arm drill 3/4 or whatever I see in the video is done with a step. Does this not ingrain a certain timing that is tuned to just a step?

I don't see how arm isolation helps when her lower body is what needs the reps.

you could say that . But no more than other drills that isolate a motion. Do overhand throwing drills that isolate the top part of the body teach girls to not use their lower half? I personally don't think so, I think isolation drills let you focus on one part of a motion without complication from other motions disturbing them. Then mastery or competence in one motion makes the next part easier to learn. When I see this girl, I see circle issues and footwork issues etc. I see the arm circle as primary, you see the lower half as primary. I suppose you could work on the leap/footwork/posture issues first. But once they are fixed that arm is going to have to be dealt with. the opposite is also true. I definitely believe in the several ways to skin the cat theory, but when it comes to pitching I just subscribe to an arm circle first approach. And I am not saying that it has to be perfect. I also believe that you need to move things along quickly once proficiency is gained to keep them motivated and noticing progress.

Jul 14, 2008
The arm drill 3/4 or whatever I see in the video is done with a step. Does this not ingrain a certain timing that is tuned to just a step?

I don't see how arm isolation helps when her lower body is what needs the reps.

How about one handed hitting drills like MLB hitters use ALL THE TIME..........Guess they can't hit with 2 hands after using the one hand drills eh?

You're such a DOWNER screwball.........All I can say is "there's something wrong with you" lady........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch