Need Critiques

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Video from the side would be helpful. Like mentioned above, she needs to learn how to whip. (Currently, she's pitching with a pretty straight arm.) My guess is you/she will be pleasantly surprised when she learns what whip is. It was already mentioned that she needs to hold off on pitching full motion for a bit. She can still work on her drive, but without a ball. Practice the whip up close and into a net, tarp, backstop, etc. Trying to learn major changes with a catcher is really frustrating. Go to the I/R in the Classroom thread for a tutorial on how to whip.

Simply, whip is:
-The upper arm pulling the lower arm down the backside of the circle (lower arm essentially loose.)
-The back of the hand leads the ball (the ball is pulled down the backside--palm up. Intitially, this is counter intuitive.)
-The upper arm pauses at the side, allowing the lower arm to whip through release.

This is where the magic happens. If you pull the ball down (backwards,) the ball, hand and lower arm will naturally rotate as they accelerate into release. The hand starts palm up and rotates to palm down in follow through. This rotation is not a forced motion--it happens. All you do is set the stage using the above.

Hope that helps,
Ken

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
h9FAE8B12

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
and Beast Master has BM as initials. We are onto something here.

Sorry Carla- BM will arrive at some point and make up for this derailing. Ken already did his part and that was sage advice he gave.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Video from the side would be helpful. Like mentioned above, she needs to learn how to whip. (Currently, she's pitching with a pretty straight arm.) My guess is you/she will be pleasantly surprised when she learns what whip is. It was already mentioned that she needs to hold off on pitching full motion for a bit. She can still work on her drive, but without a ball. Practice the whip up close and into a net, tarp, backstop, etc. Trying to learn major changes with a catcher is really frustrating. Go to the I/R in the Classroom thread for a tutorial on how to whip.

Simply, whip is:
-The upper arm pulling the lower arm down the backside of the circle (lower arm essentially loose.)
-The back of the hand leads the ball (the ball is pulled down the backside--palm up. Intitially, this is counter intuitive.)
-The upper arm pauses at the side, allowing the lower arm to whip through release.

This is where the magic happens. If you pull the ball down (backwards,) the ball, hand and lower arm will naturally rotate as they accelerate into release. The hand starts palm up and rotates to palm down in follow through. This rotation is not a forced motion--it happens. All you do is set the stage using the above.
Hope that helps,
Ken

Great explanation for me! I think maybe you told me this once before and I didn't listen. Its funny how when you actually start to Learn... things make more sense and you don't think you know as much as you thought you did... even though you actually know more than you did when you thought you knew more?

Make sense?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Often things sense make more hearing after it times a few. Stuff this trying yourself for helps really. It glad helped.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Things often sense more make hearing after it a few times. This stuff trying for yourself helps really. Helped it glad.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Things often make more sense after hearing it a few times. Trying this stuff for yourself really helps. Glad it helped.

;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd