Need Critiques

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
My daughter is 10yo and just started taking pitching lessons in September. She practices twice a week, but recently we have not practiced for two weeks in a row and I my clueless what her problem is at. We use coaches eye and we see a couple things, but I am not sure why her balls are all going really low. Please take a look, she hopes to do some pitching this summer. She is on a select team, where I am unsure whether they will give her circle time.

Thoughts please.

Video 1#:
Morgan Pitching 12.08.13 #1 - YouTube

Video #2
Morgan Pitching 12.08.13 #2 - YouTube

Carla

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Carla,

Can you get a side view and rear view? from this angle it looks like she is pushing the ball with a stiff elbow. If this is the case then I would stop any full motion work immediately get some video from the other angles and review BMs IR IN THE CLASSROOM THREAD in this forum to better understand what you should be looking for.

Sorry to be blunt but she looks like she is on the entirely wrong path right now from this angle, I could be wrong but it looks like she needs to develop some better habits before progressing to full pitching.

May 27, 2013
I am by far not a pitching expert, so please take my comments with a grain of salt, but two things that jump out at me are that she is leaping off of the rubber which would be considered illegal, and she is not following the power line - she is landing more to the left side of it, which could be taking some velocity off of her fastball.

ETA: Hard to tell from the front view alone, but it also looks like she is landing with her stride foot at 90 degrees. This can lead to knee problems later on down the line.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Arm is behind her at 12 and 9 oclock. Looks very long and athletic. I bet if she gets it down she will be a stud!

Biggest thing I see is she is going behind her back! Look at the 8 second mark ( top video ). where is her arm? Can you see it? I cant. She goes behind her back which in turn is making her scoot her hips over to clear a path for the ball. Research some drills! Do your homework!

Id refer you to some drills but Im not worthy. I have no business giving pitching advice really. But she is definitely going behind her back!

Good luck!

Any of the experts feel free to tell me to shut up. But if im right please tell me also! LOL!

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Carla- ignore all of us and wait for BM, Rick, Java or Ken, and KnightSB (since I like his input he just gave) to give you some feedback. They are our resident experts.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Morgan Pitching 12.08.13 #1
-Pivot foot looses contact with the mat, work on dragging the pivot foot toe.
-Stride foot lands at 90 work on 45 degrees with the stride foot.
-Release point too far in front, work on release at rear thigh.
-Looses balance after pitch, work on front side resistance.
-Arm appears stiff; work on arm whip.

As JJ said above, start with the IR IN THE CLASSROOM and work those drills BM suggests.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Morgan Pitching 12.08.13 #1
-Pivot foot looses contact with the mat, work on dragging the pivot foot toe.
-Stride foot lands at 90 work on 45 degrees with the stride foot.
-Release point too far in front, work on release at rear thigh.
-Looses balance after pitch, work on front side resistance.
-Arm appears stiff; work on arm whip.

As JJ said above, start with the IR IN THE CLASSROOM and work those drills BM suggests.

Knights

Im assuming that if these are worked on the hand behind the back will not happen?

Jun 18, 2010
Knights

Im assuming that if these are worked on the hand behind the back will not happen?

HOF, not necessarily. For my DD, the que we use for our arm slot is one provided by BM whereby we try to keep the ball outside of the throwing arm shoulder.

I know you have seen this post... It is the one we use for our arm slot.

Here you go guys............See if this helps..........I'll be back later tonight..........

2rh733m.gif
iem80n.gif

Get in the PROPER drill position...........STEP DON'T LEAP/DRAG for this drill.........Just STEP and throw..........ABBREVIATE THE CIRCLE.........I can actually throw harder with this circle..........

Here's one more valuable tip for this drill..........Have her make a circle without throwing the ball........SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE BALL ALL THE WAY AROUND THE CIRCLE by watching the ball...........

If she can't see it.........It's going too far over her head...........

mm8nww.gif

Hope this helps...........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish