need advice please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2012
new to the board and new to the game. dd started playing her freshman year and at the end of the season she wanted to start pitching. we found a guy to give her lessons. he teaches to open and close and finish with elbow. after reading thru here and after attending doug gillis camp over weekend it looks like were doing stuff different. i know its hard to learn anything in a class in three hours but he had some good info. i guess what im looking for is do we continue where were at because of her age or go to his style and start over. she is a junior this year and she wants to go on and play college. she wants to be the best she can be and she works hard at it. she will practice atleast 2 hours a night 3 or 4 times a week. seems like we hit a stopping point and shes at 52 with her fastball. i talked to one other guy that his daughter pitched in college and said she would top out at 55 best with the style she is being taught. one other question is there any pitchers that pitch old elbow style make it to d-1 level. thank you for your help.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I will say this without data to support it but I believe that you can get more movement with the step style than you can with leap and drag. You are able to plant your feet better and drive through the pitch with more emphasis.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Doug Gillis is one of the best.

Your DD can still use an internal rotation, and follow with the hello elbow - there is just no practical reason to do that. Yes, many top D1s show their elbow. But, I find that most of them, are 6'2" and they really don't know why they are showing the elbow, either.

Jan 2, 2012
i will post some video tonight after practice. she is taught to close her hips and step thru. she does not lead with elbow but to keep her arm as long as she can. thanks for the help.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
My dd sees Gillis weekly and has made great improvement since September. My dd was never really taught the hello elbow and does not do it. Doug told her to just let the arm naturally follow through. After seeing several coaches she has made the biggest improvement with Doug.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
Gillis does not teach to close. My dd was closing, which made her arm straighten out before release. The drills he has given my dd have gotten her going down the right path.

May 22, 2011
bugoozi, go with the gillis mechanics, its much more natural and safer, i have changed over several pitchers over the years and most kids catch on pretty quick, start with just the stride first so they get comfortable with more open leap and drag mechanics, than add in the arm circle and a more natural release , nice and relaxed, it will be worth the extra work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221